The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having Multiple Dogs

I have 3 that are actually mine. I like the training whether its with groups or alone. I decided to get a second dog when my first was a little over a year old. I got sick of all the set up time only to run one dog, and back then I trained alone. I've enjoyed the extra dogs, its more work but I'm learning much more this way and they are all turning out to be nice dogs. I say go for it.

Definately leaning towards pulling the trigger and it is definately an addiction. When I got my current dog I just wanted to have a good hunting dog, but ran some JH tests got the title and now want more. Hopefully if work and weather cooperates we will get his SH title this year.

The next issue will be convincing the fiancÚ we need another lab. Might just have to do it and ask forgiveness later!

Quote Originally Posted by mufb View Post
    Definately leaning towards pulling the trigger and it is definately an addiction. When I got my current dog I just wanted to have a good hunting dog, but ran some JH tests got the title and now want more. Hopefully if work and weather cooperates we will get his SH title this year.

The next issue will be convincing the fiancÚ we need another lab. Might just have to do it and ask forgiveness later!

Put her name on the ownership papers,it will be your first purchase together as a couple...Think positive..asking for forgiveness means you know in your heart what you did was wrong
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I have 2 and a new pup, never had an issue with rotating them on hunts, only issue I have is getting up to pull them out the the kennel and my buddies have already snuck off with them. Dang dis-loyal dogs they'll just go with anyone who's wearing camo and carrying a gun.

If it was a breeding I want I'd buy, I was never of the set to ask for permission, but then again don't think I've ever needed too
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

She loves dogs just doesn't think we need 2 big dogs that shed. But she also can't resist a cute puppy! She spoils my current one to death.

I have a pup that will be coming home on March 12th......My wife didnt think we needed another and I told her last weekend. She wasn't happy for about 12 hours and then I started showing her pics.....Now she already is looking forward to getting the pup!

Last edited by Beamer81; 02-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

We rotate our dogs, and while some have a heavier coat and stockier build so we used them for waterfowl, others had a slicker coat which worked during early season, upland, and field hunting. Every dog had their "niche". We used the older dogs as hunt test set up and test dogs since they knew the game and traveled very well, with great hotel manners. They also were used as Junior handler dogs since they knew better than to take the youngsters skiing on water retrieves

Get the pup!!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer81 View Post
    I have a pup that will be coming home on March 12th......My wife didnt think we needed another and I told her last weekend. She wasn't happy for about 12 hours and then I started showing her pics.....Now she already is looking forward to getting the pup! ]
    Have you finished redoing the dining room floor yet? Hahaha
    Richard Gravely

HRCH "Hammer" MH***
    Nick of Time Ride Da Lightning (future GRHRCH/MH)

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Put her name on the ownership papers,it will be your first purchase together as a couple...Think positive..asking for forgiveness means you know in your heart what you did was wrong
    bon and mufb,

respectfully i must say i have never seen a post on rtf that i disagee with more. imho i advise to never, never ever, never, never ever(did i say never),never ever list anyone on registration papers as an owner besides your own dang self.

let's face it, in our lives relationships come and go, people come and go. i don't mind buying a nice house for someone with whom i have been in a long term, serious relationship. but when it comes to my dogs i do nothing that would cast any doubt on total singular ownership by me. i love my wife beyond measure and intend to spend the rest of my life trying each day to please her and grow our relationship. if i die tonight the dogs are hers.......but if'n she rund me off tonight, them is my dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

Do it! Do it! Do it!!!!!