The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HRC Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    My question was regarding another issue, one not clarified in the rule book.

Lonnie Spann
    The HRC National President is a member of our local club and a few of the members also post here.PM me your question and will forward it to Mike.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    You can run Seasoned on Sat, and Finished on Sun.

It doesn't take two days to run a Finished test.
    I'm assuming you can't enter the finished test on both days for double points?

Quote Originally Posted by phillip1119 View Post
    I'm assuming you can't enter finished on both days for double points?
    You can run Finished each day of the weekend.

If your dog is already HR titled, it is possible to earn it's HRCH in two weekends.

The points thing is confusing. While it's not really worth it to earn a SH before a MH, it is worth it to earn a HR before a HRCH.

There are three ways to an HRCH that make sense.
    Pass two Started, three Seasoned, and four Finished.
    Pass four Seasoned, and four Finished.
    Pass one Seasoned, and six Finished.

Your dog needs 100 points for an HRCH.
    Only 10 of those can come from Started.
    Only 40 of those can come from Seasoned. Unless 10 were earned in Started. In that case, only 30 can come from Seasoned.

Your dog NEEDS to earn a minimum of 60 points in Finished for an HRCH. It can earn ALL 100 points in Finished, or it can get 40 between Started and Seasoned.
    Each Finished pass is 15 points. You need at least 4.

If you have one Seasoned pass, you will get another 90 points from passing 6 Finished tests.
    If you have four Seasoned passes, you will get another 60 points from passing 4 Finished tests.

You can run Finished each day of the weekend.

If your dog is already HR titled, it is possible to earn it's HRCH in two weekends.

The points thing is confusing. While it's not really worth it to earn a SH before a MH, it is worth it to earn a HR before a HRCH.

There are three ways to an HRCH that make sense.
    Pass two Started, three Seasoned, and four Finished.
    Pass four Seasoned, and four Finished.
    Pass one Seasoned, and six Finished.

Your dog needs 100 points for an HRCH.
    Only 10 of those can come from Started.
    Only 40 of those can come from Seasoned. Unless 10 were earned in Started. In that case, only 30 can come from Seasoned.

Your dog NEEDS to earn a minimum of 60 points in Finished for an HRCH. It can earn ALL 100 points in Finished, or it can get 40 between Started and Seasoned.
    Each Finished pass is 15 points. You need at least 4.

If you have one Seasoned pass, you will get another 90 points from passing 6 Finished tests.
    If you have four Seasoned passes, you will get another 60 points from passing 4 Finished tests.
    Ok.... I think I got it..... After reading it 10 times!!! Much better explanation then the rule book by the way. Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phillip1119 View Post
    Ok.... I think I got it..... After reading it 10 times!!! Much better explanation then the rule book by the way. Thanks!!!!!
    No problem!

HRC is a lot of fun.

There's a couple of things that most struggle with when going from AKC to HRC.

(1.) Seasoned is "busier" than Senior. There's more stuff to think about as a Handler. Like the walk-up and diversion.
    (2.) Your dog has to move with you, in order to see the marks. They don't normally call or shoot from the bird stations.
    (3.) The gun can get you all befuddled. Make sure that you know how to work an 870, and that you don't forget to put the buttplate on your shoulder before pulling the bang button. When you put the gun down, make sure that the chamber is open and empty, and the safety is on.

Typically, the tests themselves are less technical than AKC tests.
    But, they are more "teamwork intensive". You have to do more as a Handler, in order to get through.

However, you are also free to do more as a Handler, to get the dog through.
    You don't have to wait for a release from the Judges to talk to your dog. It's your baby all the way.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 02-06-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Y
    While it's not really worth it to earn a SH before a MH, it is worth it to earn a HR before a HRCH.

I believe you are incorrect on it not being worth it to earn SH before a MH. It takes 6 MH passes to title without a SH title; but only 5 if you have the SH Title

I agree with Copterdoc in his statement it is worth it to get your HR in HRC before you do Finished. You get an idea about the gun and steadiness of your dog while sitting down and using the gun. When done with the gun wise to say to the judges "open and safe". You can speak to your dog which is a bonus but the gun and surrounding environment really amps up your dog! Safety and steadiness important.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I believe you are incorrect on it not being worth it to earn SH before a MH. It takes 6 MH passes to title without a SH title; but only 5 if you have the SH Title
    True but you have to get 4 or 5 SH passes to count as a single master pass, logisitcally it might be more worthwhile to just run the 6th MH test
    Where as if you run any Seasoned test it counts as points toward your HRCH title, whether you run 1 or 4 you still get the points. A lot more variety in how you can title, whereas you Run one SH test you get no points, still need 6 MH passes. Also you can get a HR title equivalent to SH title simply by running only finished test, as it's only the # of points that matters, not which level you ran them at.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)