The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Field trials vs Hunt test

Thanks yall for replying. This is exactley what I wanted to hear. There a lot of different factors in HT that can throw off dogs of any caliber. I just wanted to hear some of yalls stories. Thanks for the read.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    Okay, let me see if I get this right. FT dogs have long marks that are typically in the vacinity of a big white marker. The dog has to be able to run 400 yards to the big white marker, 4 times. HT dogs have shorter marks but the marks come out from behind blinds or out of nowhere and the dog has to be in control and steady or he/she fails. Interesting!!!
    Not sure what the point is.....and that "big white marker" is not alway there and doesn't always help. They still need to know where the bird is. They need to be in control and steady in FT also

Okay, let me see if I get this right. FT dogs have long marks that are typically in the vacinity of a big white marker. The dog has to be able to run 400 yards to the big white marker, 4 times. HT dogs have shorter marks but the marks come out from behind blinds or out of nowhere and the dog has to be in control and steady or he/she fails. Interesting!!!
    Well I don't think you got it quite right, but I agree the diference between field trials and hunt test is interesting. Personally I like both and my dogs enjoy running both, I just think running and suceeding in field trials is a much bigger challenge which is good and bad.

John

Banned

Is there an FC AFC GRHRCH MNH UH anywhere is the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Meisemann View Post
    Is there an FC AFC GRHRCH MNH UH anywhere is the world?
    That would be one tired dog! And handler...

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    The dog in my avatar ran only field trials until he was four or five. He was QAA but was having a hard time stepping up to the all age stakes. He never broke once in years of running field trials, but he broke six times in a row when we switched to hunt test. The set up between hunt test and field trials is very different, at least it was back then. In field trials you calmly heel your dog out of the holding blind and walk up to the "line" or mat, where you have all the time in the world (usually), to sit your dog and point out all the guns (in white coats and usually out there a fair bit), before signally yo the judge that you are ready. That's the way we train, day after day, set-up after set-up, so the dog is used to the cadence of the whole thing.

When I just put him in Master with very little training, Cody about jumped out of his skin on our first walk up. Picture his reation when all of a sudden hidden guys at very close distance started blowing duck calls, throwing and shooting. Cody broke out there and would have caught that first bird in the air if the next guy across the field a bit hadn't blown his duck call, thrown a duck and shot his gun, whereby Cody broke across the field for that one, but before he got there the hidden flyer station went off so he broke on that one, his eyes were spinning like pin wheels, I yelled SIT!!!, which he did. The judges told me controlled breaks weren't allowed in Master, so please pick up your dog. I thanked him for calling that a controlled break as it was the most out of control thing I had ever seen.

Mark Henry solved Cody's breaking problem and he went on to pass six straight Masters without a break or a creep. So yes FT dogs are expected to be as steady as hunt test dogs, it's just that FTs are much more orderly and some hunt test set ups can be pretty wild and much closer to the line.

John

There are exceptions, John. I know of several FC/AFC's in this neck of the woods that would creep on every bird in every trial, Two of which gave a whole new meaning to the term "creep". They were, however, incredibly good markers in spite of it. I guess the judges were able to overlook their unsteadiness, somehow. Absolutely no way they could pass a hunt test, from what I saw. -Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 02-06-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Have ran, passed, and titled (MH, MHR & HRCH) an on the edge FT (derby-Qaul) chopper pup, failed him some as well. It was a wild ride to say the lease all about finding his balance, ex he cannot run back to back HRC or NAHRA tests, and if you put him in an Upland, nothing else for the weekend, maybe nothing else for the next 2 weeks . Line manners and control is the issue, and while he can hold it together for a weekend test, this dog will never make the first mark @ the grand, probably wouldn't even make it to the bucket. But he can do the NAHRA invitational and could probably hold it together for the AKC master nationals, although I'd probably die of exhaustion before the week concluded. The easier venues for him to run could be listed as AKC then NAHRA then UKC, simply because that seems to be the least to greatest emphasis on line manners and control. Also the least to greatest excitement at the line. HRC Upland being the worst .

Still it all depends on the dog, have seen FT dogs go out fail the first 45 yr blind and never see a HT mark, have seen them be calm and do real well, have seen HT dog go and Jam or even place in a Qual with owners that have never ran nor trained for them. It's true that some venues place more empathsis on particular characteristic than others, but there are many talented and truly finished dogs who can do it all and do quite well in any venue. Whether you'll ever find an owner-handler with the time or interest to do it all would be the bigger issue, FTs require a huge amount of time and focus even if you have a talented dog. An FC-AFC titled dog is more of a lifestyle, it's not a title you can usually get in a few weekends, and if a dog could I doubt the owner would be much interested in running hunt tests .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-06-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    There are exceptions, John. I know of several FC/AFC's in this neck of the woods that would creep on every bird in every trial, Two of which gave a whole new meaning to the term "creep". They were, however, incredibly good markers in spite of it. I guess the judges were able to overlook their unsteadiness, somehow. Absolutely no way they could pass a hunt test, from what I saw. -Paul
    Yep, I got to watch Cosmo, Ninja and some other notables that could mark the eyes off a potato at 350 yards without ever seeing the bird go down as they were way out in front of the handler, locked on the flyer. That said I not sure but think FC-AFC Ninja ran quite a few hunt test and did well, I know he did well in the ESPN Super Retriever Series.

The "big white marker" is sometimes retired so it is not there when the dog is running to the mark. Also, a dog that runs to the "big white marker" and hooks it to find the bird should score lower, all other things being equal, than the dog that marks and runs straight to the bird. We won't discuss the dog going behind the "big white marker."

I have a dog who could charitably be described as "on the edge," so I am terrified of the result when we start doing some testing this spring. I have recently gotten him on the under control side of the edge; otherwise we would not even be considering running. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 02-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Sometimes that "big white marker" isn't so big...I think the use of white in a FT is misunderstood by many who have not trained to such a level and/or participated in the venue. I admit I didn't get it until I switched from HT to FT.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot