The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) Left leg of pattern blinds

Default Rowdy (by Pirate) Left leg of pattern blinds

Rowdy has learned the left leg of the pattern blind. Look at the return speed. I knew when I got out of the pressures of yard work that it would pick up. Distance is 135 yds.

Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Rowdy looks like He's catching on guick! Nice to see Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Tom. P. View Post
    Rowdy looks like He's catching on guick! Nice to see Wayne
    Bold added by me.

I love it. I expect it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 months from the time force fetch is started to now, where the dog is starting pattern blinds.

It's one step at a time, one baby step after another.

It takes what it takes regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard, I started force hold on the table on 9/12/12. So your are about right.
    Wayne Nutt

Did you take any video of the techniques you use to eastablish the pattern? THought that might be helpful?

edit: Do you use a helper to mark the blind/pile? Do you do a "walking sight blind" then slowly increase the distance?
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 02-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.

I walked Rowdy out on the line until he was about 50 yds from the pile. Then I let him watch me drop some bumpers. Then I moved back about 3-4 times until I got to the mat. That was yesterday. Today I did it in only two steps. One at about 75 yds and then back to the mat. Tomorrow I will do it cold.
    Wayne Nutt

Probably my favorite stage,nice going .
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

I think breaking down the blind and the dog coming to an understanding of what breaking down a blind is becomes nearly as important as it is to jump to running the blind cold. I think Pro's with a lot of dogs skip breaking down blinds only because it takes soo much time. The successful Am's seem to spend a lot of time doing just that. Just my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Howard, I started force hold on the table on 9/12/12. So your are about right.
    Yeah, that's about what I thought. It takes time and is a step by step process.

I have a pup, who I think is a little older than yours, but about in the same place. I had rotator cuff surgery last August so she is a little behind where she should be.

I got a nice compliment about her from one of the people I train with last weekend. He said she's doing fine... yada yada yada. It's true, she is. But she didn't suddenly start doing fine. It's been a time consuming, step by step process. Sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back. You just have to read the pup and continue training. She's now starting to show what she'll be like as a finished dog, but, we've got more time and more steps to go yet.

It doesn't just suddenly happen and come on quickly. There are lots of little steps along the way.

I think I get a little sensitive when someone says it happens suddenly or quickly. The pup might suddenly make some intuitive leaps forward in training but it's usually because the prep work has been done during the preceding months.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I think breaking down the blind and the dog coming to an understanding of what breaking down a blind is becomes nearly as important as it is to jump to running the blind cold. I think Pro's with a lot of dogs skip breaking down blinds only because it takes soo much time. The successful Am's seem to spend a lot of time doing just that. Just my observations.
    I read an article that Danny Farmer had written (that someone posted a while back.) It was about how he starts running cold blinds. He basically goes straight into cold blinds right after Double T and 8 bumper casting/lining. Now I would be a total fool to question that, BUT, that seems like a big step for anyone BUT a Pro. You would definately have to have EVERYTHING ironed out in Double T, and know exactly when, and how to help on those first cold blinds.

Wayne what are your (or anyone else) goals/objectives with pattern blinds? Do you run a 5 legged PB? Do you cast to the various piles once you have them solid? (like in DL Walters book)
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net