The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: concealed carry and judgeing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Who doesn't have a concealed weapon in their truck at a hunt test? Are there people who show up at hunt tests without a shot gun behind the seat of their rig?
    Judging by some of the stances taken and statements made, not just this thread or even this forum. I wud say not many cuz does thangs scar the britches off o dem.(only uneducated rednecks carry guns around everywhere they go...LOL) This would make a good poll of course im sure it would get colorful.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Judging by some of the stances taken and statements made, not just this thread or even this forum. I wud say not many cuz does thangs scar the britches off o dem.(only uneducated rednecks carry guns around everywhere they go...LOL) This would make a good poll of course im sure it would get colorful.
    I was directing traffic last year at the Field Trial Specialty with my shot gun slung over my shoulder. It got a lot of laughs and everybody parked where I told them to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Plesko View Post
    It seems as though it would come in handy when your dog brought back a flyer that wasn't dead.
    Or you could blow the judges away if they dropped your dog.

This is crazy. What do you need a sidearm for at the line at a dog trial?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post

You beat me to it.
    Earl Dillow

When I wear a pistol it is 100% less likely to fall into the hands of a criminal and be used to commit crimes. Everyone should do their part to reduce stolen weapons by keeping them on their person at all times. It is a very effective tool at reducing crime rates.

Dave just wants to use the HRC buckets for target practice and make them all buy chairs like normal hunters. lol...

I was thinking the same thing. I have wished I could concealed carry when traveling to and from trials. Mostly because I travel alone through the wee hours in strange places. I air dogs alone late at night, etc. However many of the states I travel to and through don't have reciprocal agreements with South Dakota. So, I leave my gun at home. I have no idea why I'd need to step to the line with a firearm...

I generally trust myself a lot more than other people. Guns make me nervous, only because I have immense respect for how destructive they can be in the wrong or in irresponsible hands.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Because someone needs to be there to save the judges life, when the said whacko's dog gets dropped and the whacko trys to take the judges life.

Yep now every gun owner is out looking for someone to blow away, Just like everyone who drives a car is going to drive drunk!
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-07-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Back in the late eighties when I regularly visited NW Montana and into the early ninties when we moved here, it was not unusual to encounter people wearing a pistol on their hip in your regular daily travels. I'm sorry to say that it is much more rare to see that today. Montana is not only an open carry State, you can also conceal carry anywhere in the State without a permit except an incorporated town. As others have pointed out a concealed weapon is concealed, so I have no idea how many, if any of the thousands of handlers I have see walk to the line in a field trail or hunt test were carrying concealed, but I can say that I have never seen anybody walk to the line with a pistol strapped to his or her hip, (not that there's anything wrong with that).

With all the thought we put into what we are carrying, whistle, lucky lead ect. and wearing black handler's coat or white, muck boots or not, etc, I would suspect that someone wearing an exposed gun is doing it more for show than anything else, but if I were judging I probably would just ignore it and watch the dog work.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    When I wear a pistol it is 100% less likely to fall into the hands of a criminal and be used to commit crimes. Everyone should do their part to reduce stolen weapons by keeping them on their person at all times. It is a very effective tool at reducing crime rates.

Dave just wants to use the HRC buckets for target practice and make them all buy chairs like normal hunters. lol...
    That's a good a answer as it could be . I bet you watch football too and know they don't talk about you in the huddle.
    I can't argue your logic. Of course everybody carries a shotgun or two or three in thier training vehicles. My training partner carries a Ruger .22 revolver that he uses with .22 ramset blanks for training. I carried as part of my job for many years ,but, can't remember carrying a sidearm to the line at a hunt test nor field trial and could have been disciplined by my agency if someone snitched on me. It was 24/7 or bust for carrying a sidearm, it was a must.
    For me it was relaxing not to be armed, now, it wasn't too relaxing at some of the motels that I stayed in, so I guess I understand. In general I believe in CCW by licensed holders. Probably a sign of the times. I do respect your logic though.
    Earl Dillow

This is an astounding thread, I am reminded of a popular turn of phrase we used at the height of a wave of violence in hockey. I'll paraphrase it to suit this situation:
    What would you do if you turned up at a fire fight ....and a Hunt Test broke out?!"

Second amendment aside; can anyone provide an example of when a hand gun was useful at a test or trial?
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.