Coal
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coal

Default Coal

I've pretty much lost our entire investment in ACI & BTU, but I ask "was what the government did smart?".
    While I don't agree with some of the methods of the coal folks I saw it as a chance to ride a long shot to
    significant profit.

Taxpayers are now saddled with the entire remediation expense as the coal folks have no resources to do
    what they had agreed to do. What say the keep it in the ground folks????????

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Nothing new Marvin. Privatize profits and defer clean up costs to the public. Search "super fund" for many examples. It is the way of corporate America.

This is interesting. Unthinking Liberal Henry (Bernie! Bernie!) blames these problems on those mean old corporations (Power to the People!) when the facts are, as Marvin says, "the coal folks have no resources to do what they had agreed to do".

Arch Coal (ACI) has filed for bankruptcy; Peabody Energy (BTU) has as well. Both are victims (along with their employees) of Obama's War on Coal.

I suppose the answer is don't invest in what a crazed liberal government can shut down by regulation.. And I really don't see why mine reclamation (which is what Marvin is addressing) is needed. He's right. There's lots of land in the country. But if the government (i.e. taxpayers) is forced to pay for foolishness by an out-of-control EPA, that's the price of electing an anti-business ignorant nutcase to the presidency.

If we all get lucky, President Trump and the GOP will shut down half of the EPA's budget. Or more.

Last edited by steveMO; 04-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steveMO View Post
    [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]..... blames these problems on those mean old corporations (Power to the People!) when the facts are, as Marvin says, "the coal folks have no resources to do what they had agreed to do".
    Could you please point out where I blamed corporations? I simply stated the facts and provided a way for a thinking person to look for examples. There is a long well-documented history of corporations making thousands, millions, and even billions of $$ in net profits and then going out of business only to leave the public to cover a legacy of clean-up costs. I am sure with a little searching I could find numerous examples in your state alone. It is what corporations do (as I stated) and there are hundreds if not thousands of examples of it.

Arch Coal (ACI) has filed for bankruptcy; Peabody Energy (BTU) has as well. Both are victims (along with their employees) of Obama's War on Coal.
    Market forces, not government regulations, are the primary cause as discussed and documented in another thread. I know it is convenient to blame the government or the media for everything but the evidence regarding coal is not on your side. I suppose though, that you could make the case that the government is at fault because there are not enough regulations on fracking and the natural gas industry and that this has caused the glut in cheap NG. Perhaps that is what you are suggesting?

I suppose the answer is don't invest in what a crazed liberal government can shut down by regulation.. And I really don't see why mine reclamation (which is what Marvin is addressing) is needed. He's right. There's lots of land in the country. But if the government (i.e. taxpayers) is forced to pay for foolishness by an out-of-control EPA, that's the price of electing an anti-business ignorant nutcase to the presidency.
    I don't have or give any investment advice besides buy low and sell high. As pointed out above, regulation is not the primary cause of these bankruptcies, market forces are.

Regarding mine reclamation, you do seem to be quite uninformed (shocking, I know). Again, there is a well established legacy of pollution and hazardous waste being left behind after profits are made and coal/gold/silver mines shut down. You can choose to believe this is no big deal but the long term costs to society are real and well documented. The answer is pretty simple - make reclamation costs part of a state or federal permits and require corporate investment in known legacy costs that will be incurred while a mine is in operation. It is a very conservative approach so that the costs of clean-up are not socialized later.

Yes, yes, this President is so very anti-business. That's why corporate profits are at record highs, corporate taxes at record lows, the stock market way up, the NG industry doing great, etc, etc???

If we all get lucky, President Trump and the GOP will shut down half of the EPA's budget. Or more.
    You mean the "buffoon" as you have called him? I am sure the people of Flint would appreciate less monitoring and regulation just as the GOP wishes. Bush/Cheney did this - how did that work out for you?

Well, you're loquacious and a good typist. And predictable. I guess that counts for something. Not enough, though, when weighed against the lack of rationality.
    Last edited by steveMO; 04-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.

I know the coal has affected CSX a lot. I do quite a bit of business with CSX I sure hate for them to get all the cuts. From what the employees have told me it's because of the EPA haven't done any research on my own.

Well, you're loquacious and a good typist. And predictable. I guess that counts for something. Not enough, though, when weighed against the lack of rationality.
    Thank you for demonstrating the depths of your thoughtfulness and reasoning skills. I am sorry it takes more than a bumper sticker talking point to discuss most issues. You apparently have nothing to present but name calling and have repeatedly demonstrated that you do not have the capacity to defend your own statements outside of lame rhetoric fed to you by the right wing media ("Blame Obama" and "Blame EPA").

There are 36 EPA Super Fund Sites in Missouri. Perhaps you should lobby your Senators and Representative to cut funding to EPA for these clean ups. Several of them relate to high lead in drinking water. Please take a look at the list and let us know you live in one of these communities, that would help explain things.

Yes, you are correct, I am the predictable one.

LMFAO regards,
    Last edited by Henry V; 04-27-2016 at 08:43 PM.

No, Henry. It's just that liberals are not worth responding to except to amuse myself. It's like talking to small children. Except that children can be sensible at times.

You must be quite amused then since you are not able to defend yourself against a "liberal" which you have repeatedly demonstrated here and elsewhere. Perhaps you should stick to talking with children.

Marvin - out of popcorn yet? Thanks for this one.
    Last edited by Henry V; 04-27-2016 at 10:33 PM.

There was a pretty good thread that covered this better, but the fall in the price of coal had more to do with the Chinese not importing it anymore and that was causing a glut in supply which super deflated prices that was causing coal companies to go out of business or temporarily shutter. It also talked about the low price of Natural Gas causing energy companies to build Natural gas power plants rather than coal fired ones.
    "Itís hard to win an argument with a smart person, but itís damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray