The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The changing face of PP

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    "chicken farmer"............such a slanderous label.
    I don't raise no fat yeller chickens......honest they are white and fat.

Bon its an inside joke from another thread. the slanderous part
    Bo knows chicken......regards.
    Last edited by duk4me; 02-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I thought it was "chicken rancher". I bet it stinks when you brand them.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Growing up organic we would buy 100 white leghorn chicks - unsexed (don't even know if they did that in those days). We would get about 50 pullets & 50 roosters - Eating pan fried spring frier was really neat, my grandma could cook them! In the fall we would take the remainder, usually about 30 - hook them to the clothes line & whack off their heads. When they were bled, into the hot scalding water they went & off came the feathers (one job I got out of as I my hands were too tender to handle the hot feathers), clean, cutup & into the quart jars - close to 60. There is nothing like the gelatin from canned chicken cold . The old hens went to chicken & dumplings.

As I got older used to do the same with pheasants that we spotlited & knocked in the head in the stubble fields - a true delicacy .
    Processing is still very similar to how you did it in your youth. Well on a much bigger scale.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    I thought it was "chicken rancher". I bet it stinks when you brand them.
    It stinks period.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Processing is still very similar to how you did it in your youth. Well on a much bigger scale.
    How far does your clothesline stretch?
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    How far does your clothesline stretch?
    It would shock you to see it. Of course it isn't my clothesline they just put my pets on it.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    It stinks period.
    We farmed before the days of farming the government - rotational crops rather than SBeans & corn. Though 1/2 went to corn. After harvest the field that was going to get the chicken manure got disced, usually a corn field cut for silage, & the chicken barn got cleaned. Oats was the preferred crop & in those days you could see where the chicken manure had gone by yield. Fortunately we were fairly modern with a slide under the roosts to allow the manure to come forward & hinged roosts to clear the way, but it was still hand scooping. I used to hate that job as you felt like there were little critters crawling all over you after the barn cleaning. We then sprayed & were ready for the next years load . It was hot stuff, more so than the other manures produced.

Eggs & cream made sure a lot of farmers were able to afford something.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

We farmed before the days of farming the government - rotational crops rather than SBeans & corn. Though 1/2 went to corn. After harvest the field that was going to get the chicken manure got disced, usually a corn field cut for silage, & the chicken barn got cleaned. Oats was the preferred crop & in those days you could see where the chicken manure had gone by yield. Fortunately we were fairly modern with a slide under the roosts to allow the manure to come forward & hinged roosts to clear the way, but it was still hand scooping. I used to hate that job as you felt like there were little critters crawling all over you after the barn cleaning. We then sprayed & were ready for the next years load . It was hot stuff, more so than the other manures produced.

Eggs & cream made sure a lot of farmers were able to afford something.
    How far a thead may slide to GDG is well evidenced. Thank you, boys.... I am entertained. The vision of Marvin scooping chicken manure will stay...in fact it will be hard to ignore. Do I need to insert a smiley here??? JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 02-07-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    The vision of Marvin scooping chicken manure will stay...
    JD, it's honest productive labor, maybe a little too close to the real world for some folks, I have the feeling you might be in that group. I never felt I was above that level of work. It also builds a confidence in one's ability to deal with any situation.

I could tell you about a lot of situations our animal friends place us in - they don't know any better. Imagine what it was like pulling a calf in those days or being face first in the pig manure as one of those little darlings decided the best way of escape was at ankle level .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Cool

JD, it's honest productive labor, maybe a little too close to the real world for some folks, I have the feeling you might be in that group. I never felt I was above that level of work. It also builds a confidence in one's ability to deal with any situation.

I could tell you about a lot of situations our animal friends place us in - they don't know any better. Imagine what it was like pulling a calf in those days or being face first in the pig manure as one of those little darlings decided the best way of escape was at ankle level .
    Marvin, I find your condescending tone offensive. NM is both an agricultural state and one that practices animal husbandry on a broad level. I have bred and raised chickens and a variety of game birds, to include mallards, pheasants, chukar and quail, not to mention pigeons. I have assisted calving and branding many times. I'll concede the pig poop to you however since you seem to revel rolling in it.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift