The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new CBR puppy socialization

Default new CBR puppy socialization

have been a member for years but mainly lurked from the background, first i'd like thank everyone for all the help with my dogs over the years even though you didn't know you were helping with advice and problem solving.

lost my lab over the holidays and have decided on a chesapeake this time around. was fortunate to find an available pup from a highly respected breeder and we will be picking him up next weekend. my question revolves around socialization, i know the breed requires special care and attention regarding socialization in order to prevent developing bad habits regarding protective/possesive instincts. what do you do with your pups regarding socialization? for me its always been introducing pups to new people and situations. so advice on getting started right would be greatly appreciated.

we've got the hillman dvds and will be using it for our puppy method if that makes a difference.

thanks for any help.

Tim

Tim,

Glad you found a good pup. The main thing is take the dog everywhere you can. Let the pup meet as many people and different places as you possibly can. As the dog gets older obedience will be key. The pup should have to earn things by doing a job. Examples are making him sit before letting him eat his food, sit before getting released out of his crate/kennel. And you should not be the only one doing this anyone in your family should do this as well so that way the pup learns his place in the pecking order. Exposing the pup to as much as possible and ob are the keys I think.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Ahh, he`s a peake don`t forget he needs to sleep in your bed! Seriously,socialization for him is no different than any other breed!Enjoy cause their not here long enough,may I ask what his breeding is. Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 02-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Tim,
    I tell all my puppy people that , what you put into your puppy the first year will be your reward for the rest of its life. I strongly urge you find a kennel club to put your puppy into a KIndergarten puppy class. This is for puppies that are between 8 wks and 16 wks old. After that , take him everywhere. Kids ballgames,soccer games, anywhere he will meet and greet new people and situtations. Make everything positive and fun!

Good luck!
    Joyce (Blackwater Chesapeakes)

Boomer, your getting some good advice. Like said above take him everywhere and expose him to all the different environments, sights, sounds and smells. Bonding and trust are crucial with Chesapeakes. Bond with him, earn his trust and always be fair and you will be glad you made the switch. BTW congrats on the pup!
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

Teaching your pup to sit, come,eventually heel and other obedience exercises will pay big dividends down the line,along with lots of socialization. A wise person once told me - "don't let your puppy do anything you don't want him to do when he grows up". Be gentle, but firm about what you will allow - set a standard and keep it up. Enjoy the journey! Hope you and your puppy will have many happy years and wonderful adventures together.

Lets see a pic

pics will come when he gets here, due to ship from Kathy Heintel at treasure lake chesapeakes next weekend. We live in a pretty remote area so a puppy class probably isnt possible, nearest ones are over an hour away. ball games and kid events are definitely on the schedule.
    unfortunately im overseas for work for another 3 weeks yet so the wife and kids are in charge of puppy reception

Your puppy wouldn't happen to be about 5 months old from the Red Hawk x Ice Man litter? I got my puppy from Kathy in December and chose between the two males she had left. I talked to her last week and she said that his brother had just been sold and was leaving next weekend. If he is him and is anything like his brother, you are in for an incredible dog!

Whoa! If pup is 5 months old the answers you have received are probably moot! What's important to know first is what the breeder has done in the way of socialization and basic OB. Learn all you can about what has been done thus far and keep it consistent . Chessies especially demand fair and consistent leadership.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com