The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Blind...

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    Here is the water blind we ran this morning HAHAHA

Attachment 11144
    I have to ask, did your dogs have any problem with the red line? Or the side hill off the offensive zone circle?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

[QUOTE=Keith Farmer;1065425]Check out the Google satellite image I posted in edit...under second picture.

What was age group of the dogs you ran on this set up?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

At least you didn't make the handler stand in a hole to run it!

Nice clear shoreline picture. Excellent training set-up.

Just curious; will you come back in a week or so and re-run this blind backwards?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

At least you didn't make the handler stand in a hole to run it!

Yeah, there are a few sadistic guys around who do things like that

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

No evolution, no monkey ancestors, no big bang!

Just curious; will you come back in a week or so and re-run this blind backwards?-Paul

Interesting observation. In fact, I had worked on marks this week with the running line from where the birds were planted on this blind. The second memory bird for all age dogs was landing where the get-on and get-off section of the blind is located. The go-bird was angling across the tech ponds, and the retired was in between the two lower ponds on the left.

I am fond of crossing lines and using marks to influence blinds and vice versa...

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen 1:1 NKJV)... 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4NKJV)

What was age group of the dogs you ran on this set up?

Wade, The youngest dog that I ran was 17 months old. He is very proficient on blind work so the blind was a great challenge for him but one that was very doable...as he proved by handling it with an acceptable number of casts. The oldest dog I ran was 9. I ran several in between those ages. In all but one case I made the dogs get on and get off the point. The one that I kept off was an adjust-on-the-fly decision that I felt suited his run better with regard to effort/reward. In fact, he made the run with 4 casts...all of which were basically just line adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Farmer View Post
    For you guys interested in how the dogs did let me say this by way of an answer...for one to attempt a blind like this one should have a reasonable expectation that the retriever will succeed. The point with a blind like this carries many advantages for a capable dog and keeps the handler sharp as well. EG, Reading what the dog is thinking enroute, deciding when to cast for maximum advantage, using corrective measures to drive home a lesson, rewarding effort for those who are learning and trying to do the correct thing; all these contributions and more apply to such a blind. Success, therefore, is perhaps relative to the desired result for each dog...it is not always just about getting the bird.

More specifically to answer the question...the dogs I ran completed the blind in good fashion.

Thanks for the inquiries...

So by having reasonable expectations on each individual dog, you expected Dirt to line it and I am sure he did.
    That looks like a good training mark for Troy. When he can do that, we ought to be derby ready.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Gotta love it when you can run water blinds in Feb. This is one of the 5 I ran the other day. Bumper was up and out about 15 yrds inline with the tree in background. The only issue I had is when she got to the more open water at the end of the channel she wanted to go right out into big water instead if straigh to the bank.

Just curious on the issue of on and off the point. Once one the point and after the sit whistle would you give a rt angle w/a verbal back, give a straight up right hand verbal back, or be a cowboy and let him roll if his line was good??????
    Headed south this Sunday to S.C. to train for a month and run a couple of trials Time to get out of all this snow in Michigan.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX