The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sherwin Scott deceased.

Scotty via Lean Mack changed the sport. He was intense about evrything he did. One of my pleasures was being there to congratulate him when he won the Canadian National Ameture and seeing the look of surprise on his face and how happy he was. Nice memory. Suprised more haven't noted his passing. He was one of a kind.

Bill
    Sarita McKnight
    MOONSTONE LABRADORS llc
    Bigfork MT 59911
    www.moonstonelabs.com
    AFC BAMS Liberty Belle MH
    FC-AFC-CNAFC-CFC-CAFC MOONSTONES Hug and Moochie
    FC-AFC MOONSTONES Sea Biscuit Run
    AFC MOONSTONES Ham-Maid Marian
    (406) 249-4140 or (406) 257-7311
    Avatar is AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH ~ 31 MAR 1995-7 OCT 2010
    Photo taken on her 15th birthday...

I considered Sherwin a friend. To Sondra and all Sherwin's family and friends, our heartfelt condolences.

Glenn and Ilham
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

Quote Originally Posted by moonstonelabs View Post
    Scotty via Lean Mack changed the sport. He was intense about evrything he did. One of my pleasures was being there to congratulate him when he won the Canadian National Ameture and seeing the look of surprise on his face and how happy he was. Nice memory. Suprised more haven't noted his passing. He was one of a kind.

Bill
    I don't think people realize that Mr Scott had the imprint on the retriever world and literally changed the lineage of labs..Everyone out there that has Lean Mac in their pedigree, owes Sherwin a tip of the hat..His impact on the game will be felt for generations to come..I wonder how many Lean Mac straws are still in existence ? I did not know Sherwin like my brother did but he was a very nice man, and enjoyed talking to him about Guide just before he went big on the scene...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of Sherwin Scott. I Know the retriever world is very sad and many that are feeling his loss, do not post on here.
    I was very fortunate to get to know him. His zest for competition was contagious.
    His impact was huge and he was currently researching ways of trying to bring in new blood to the field trial game and was working with many on this endeavor. He will be greatly missed.
    Last edited by jollydog; 02-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble

www.reelretrievers.com

I was very fortunate to get to know Sherwin. I purchase Pasha and Shaka from him. I was invited to his ranch. I wish I had of gone and visited him.

My deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Sherwin. He certainly made his mark on our sport and our breedings via Lean Mac and his passion for the game.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

A testament to Sherwin was any dog he had, it did not live its life in a dog box on a pro's truck. He selected his pro's with as much care as he did his dogs. To my knowledge he has been one of the few people interviewed on CBC Radio (Canada's national broadcast public radio) and the only person to be interviewed about a particular big game hunt. It was really great to listen to him express the work involved in getting into postion and the reverence he had for wildlife.
    When he was in the high country in Canada on the trial circuit we talked fly fishing, which trophy lakes, what patterns and dogs. We touched on big game hunting but the conversation never really went anywhere as I had little to offer as my hunting of herbivores/ungulates was limited to Columbia Blacktail. I did take away one aspect of Sherwin; it was that he never bragged about his successes.

On the issue of politics he regarded himself as an independent. He explained to me his take on the current financial situation in the US. He discussed in detail the differnt housing laws and their respective dates of passage through congress from 1947 to the present. All that in the time we have on our hands when the action slows down in the field at a trial?

He was much more than a good dog man.
    Last edited by Ironwood; 02-11-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Ironwood,, Very nice tribute.

I never met Mr. Scott but, did talk to him on the phone a few times in the '90s.

I used one of his dogs for a stud a couple of times and he was always available and willing to talk to me...

A true gentleman and scholar ......My condolences to his family
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I did not know Sherwin very well, saw him at some trials in the US and most recently I got to spend a little time chatting with him at our Canadian National Open this past September. He took us out for dinner and took time to come to talk with all of us. A beautiful dog, a beautiful win. To his family and friends My deepest sympathies.
    Lorraine Hare
    Topend Retrievers, Ontario Canada

One reason we were happy to sell Guide to Sherwin, we knew he would have Guide in the house and take him hunting and take him to the retriever limits- the big trials and the big hunts- though Guide loved any hunt!