RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Sherwin Scott deceased.

14K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  Elcie 
#1 ·
I have just learned that Sherwin Scott died this morning February 7th, 2013 of a heart attack.
To his wife and friends you have my condolences.

Regards,
Daniel Shnitka

#2 ·
I'm sorry! My condolences to his family and friends.

#3 ·
We are so very sad to hear of the passing of our friend Sherwin, he was a very nice man and had a good eye for dog talent. Our condolences to his family and to those that knew him

Clint and Mary Kent Mallari

Bon Mallari

#6 ·
Very sorry to hear this. My condolonces to his friends and family.

#9 · (Edited)

Sherwin was well-known on both sides of the border for his very successful competition in field trials. His passion for his dogs was truly great and he had multiple National Champions to his credit. We always enjoyed competing against him and sharing stories about greatdogs and great tests.

Our condolences to Sondra

Dennis and Fiona

#11 ·
I was very lucky to get to attend a seminar at Mike's with Sherwin when I first got into the game and spent several weeks with him over the past years pre-national training with him. His knowledge of dogs is well know by all but what was really interesting to me was his stories of big game hunting. He was "Been There Done That Guy" he was passionate about hunting all over the world he had the big five in Africa many times over, the Grand Slam of Sheep, all the plains game. But to hear him talk about his greatest love of hunting Coues Deer in Mexico would make any one who loves to hunt get excited. He said hunting a B&C Coues Buck was the greatest challenge on the planet.
He called me in late June of 11 and again in 12 and we spoke about nationals and just how tough they were. He was a very passionate driven individual in everything he decided to pursue. My thoughts and prayers go out Sondra and family.
Chad

#14 ·
I was fortunate to meet Sherwin on a Duck and Goose hunting trip to Alberta several years ago. Had known whom he was from the coverage of Mac but had never met the man. A very nice individual that knew a hell of a lot about dogs and training. Spent several hours talking and came away from that conversation with a new , deeper understanding of just exactly what dogs and dog training was all about. The retriever community has lost another. Thoughts and prayers.

#17 ·
My condolences to the family.

#21 ·
Scotty via Lean Mack changed the sport. He was intense about evrything he did. One of my pleasures was being there to congratulate him when he won the Canadian National Ameture and seeing the look of surprise on his face and how happy he was. Nice memory. Suprised more haven't noted his passing. He was one of a kind.

Bill

#23 ·
Scotty via Lean Mack changed the sport. He was intense about evrything he did. One of my pleasures was being there to congratulate him when he won the Canadian National Ameture and seeing the look of surprise on his face and how happy he was. Nice memory. Suprised more haven't noted his passing. He was one of a kind.

Bill
I don't think people realize that Mr Scott had the imprint on the retriever world and literally changed the lineage of labs..Everyone out there that has Lean Mac in their pedigree, owes Sherwin a tip of the hat..His impact on the game will be felt for generations to come..I wonder how many Lean Mac straws are still in existence ? I did not know Sherwin like my brother did but he was a very nice man, and enjoyed talking to him about Guide just before he went big on the scene...

#24 · (Edited)
I am very sorry to hear of the passing of Sherwin Scott. I Know the retriever world is very sad and many that are feeling his loss, do not post on here.
I was very fortunate to get to know him. His zest for competition was contagious.
His impact was huge and he was currently researching ways of trying to bring in new blood to the field trial game and was working with many on this endeavor. He will be greatly missed.

#27 · (Edited)
A testament to Sherwin was any dog he had, it did not live its life in a dog box on a pro's truck. He selected his pro's with as much care as he did his dogs. To my knowledge he has been one of the few people interviewed on CBC Radio (Canada's national broadcast public radio) and the only person to be interviewed about a particular big game hunt. It was really great to listen to him express the work involved in getting into postion and the reverence he had for wildlife.
When he was in the high country in Canada on the trial circuit we talked fly fishing, which trophy lakes, what patterns and dogs. We touched on big game hunting but the conversation never really went anywhere as I had little to offer as my hunting of herbivores/ungulates was limited to Columbia Blacktail. I did take away one aspect of Sherwin; it was that he never bragged about his successes.

On the issue of politics he regarded himself as an independent. He explained to me his take on the current financial situation in the US. He discussed in detail the differnt housing laws and their respective dates of passage through congress from 1947 to the present. All that in the time we have on our hands when the action slows down in the field at a trial?

He was much more than a good dog man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.