The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Look Ma! No leash! Steadiness drill

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Hanigan View Post
    Jen
    I hate to come across as the bad guy but you need to realize that you were not training your pup, you were testing her.

You got away with it but if she had broken you would have had no recourse but to shout at her and hope she listened. There was no collar or leash on her and if she had ignored your shouting you would have done an excellent job of teaching her it was OK to break.

Never put yourself in a no win situation.
    Perhaps Jen has a different way of correcting the dog. We have a snapshot of what was being done and don't have the total picture. I myself might do this differently from Jen but that doesn't necessarily mean she's wrong. I get the feeling Jen does have an effective training plan. And I would bet that Jen knows how ineffective it is to shout at the dog.

A while back I had posted a link to a video on training on the Winnepesauke River in NH, just to get a video on water work by a golden that loves water. What I didn't say at the time was that it was part of my steadying process and I had just steadied her. I also did not mention that in the video there is no check cord, no ecollar, no heeling stick but that doesn't mean I had no tools.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I think you guys are getting a little to anal, trying to make a big training deal out of what was posted as a humorus situation of a woman holding her dog at heel with live geese temptingly close. The dog was clearly interested, could have broken and created havoc, but didn't, no big deal, just a fun post.

edit: mine is just a general comment, I'm not refering to gdgnyc's post.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I think you guys are getting a little to anal, trying to make a big training deal out of what was posted as a humorus situation of a woman holding her dog at heel with live geese temptingly close. The dog was clearly interested, could have broken and created havoc, but didn't, no big deal, just a fun post.

edit: mine is just a general comment, I'm not refering to gdgnyc's post.
    John, truth is your comment made me smile. And you could say anything about me or my comments because you are always sincere, not abrasive, and someone who I consider an RTF friend.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Keeping with the 'thread', Here is one that had been in for 6 weeks of training, that 'Learned' the 'cue' from the Game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VanUIPniNhc
    Nice Little Pup, that went on pretty darn good!
    Spot the 'cue'? D.
    Private video? I'd love to see it!
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Private video? I'd love to see it!
    Sorted! Try again?..But not to take up Jennifers thread....The comments from it got me 'thinking'!about the differences in training ''Perhaps'',of 'Steadiness' and 'cues' So I'll start my own.
    You may find them Interesting Darrin?....In your line of work.
    atb
    R.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I'm sure I will! I always do...

Look forward to the thread.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Hanigan View Post
    Jen
    I hate to come across as the bad guy but you need to realize that you were not training your pup, you were testing her.

You got away with it but if she had broken you would have had no recourse but to shout at her and hope she listened. There was no collar or leash on her and if she had ignored your shouting you would have done an excellent job of teaching her it was OK to break.

Never put yourself in a no win situation.
    Lynn is absolutely right. This was a test scenario and shouldn't be done by a person/dog who aren't prepared.

We were ready in three ways:

1) Flyer and I had been jump shooting ducks with my husband many times in the past few months, where my husband was the shooter and I focused on training and teaching steadiness in the field.

2) Just previous to the video we spent 45 minutes walking past other duck ponds in the park and doing that same exercise of sitting and watching. We also did a ton of heeling past dog walkers etc. The video you saw was the end exercise after lots of practice.

3) I know the sensitivity level of my dog, which is high. A finger touch to the side of her body, or a firm "No" will stop her in her tracks even in high temptation scenarios.

Lynn is right. Don't put your dog in a situation to fail if you don't know they are well prepared to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I just kept saying "HOLY COW!" ...... Tomorrow we watch Amateur stake.......
    And, were more religulous bovine in your ken?????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

x2 YUP
    I've done the same with 2 Chessies and a large meat lovers deluxe on the coffee table!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Oh...goodness ...

A Belated Happy First Birthday!, "Ryder" !!

A very good girl ..learning to not go get the wild life..unless "working" and told to do so!! Her keen interest was great!!

Sounds like the trip to watch the FT was well worth it..in many ways!

Judy
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 02-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011