RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Look Ma! No leash! Steadiness drill

7K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
LOL! Great video. But I want to see her flush a pheasant out of the heavy cover, a few inches from her nose when she's 30 yards away from you, and be steady! ;)
Happy birthday Flyer!

#6 ·
Great video!
Something interesting I've seen with my dog is she knows the difference between hunting and bird watching. We live in an area were there is a lot of resident geese and when we are out and about she doesn't pay much attention to them. They can fly around,honk and just make all kinds of racket and she doesn't pay them much attention but let one of those suckers back pedal over decoys and its all she can do to contain herself!

#9 ·
I know Barb! I'm sure that a flush would turn out with a very different ending - and swearing!

And yes, I was glad none of you pranksters were in the bushes. A gun shot would've ended the deal, too, I'm sure. But it is fun to take training opportunities when they present themselves. Just glad we didn't end up traumatizing the bread throwers. :cool:

#12 ·
Shoot a gun watch the birds fly and watch the dog go

#13 ·
You said, "Sit," and, "Stay," several times. Do you think that repeating a command like you did could undo the original command?

I would prefer to make a correction when the infraction occurred.

#17 ·
Nice 'looking dog' !
The girl is off to her first Trial.
Over here, the judges are looking for the dog to do the actions without the requirement or command to be steady,that way they 'Know' the dog has learned,rather than being continuously 'told'?..That would be 'Controlled' behaviour rather than 'Learned behaviour'. (Just my tuppence!) from afar?

#23 ·
So you were able to persuade a rug NOT to get in the water?

......... :p

#27 ·
I just kept saying "HOLY COW!" over and over again. The first series looked very do-able. The second series looked very challenging, but still thought we may have had a chance. THEN the third series came! Holy Cow! LOOONG water double with several 5 foot tall bunches of vegetation that the dogs had to charge through and not get lost in on the way. To complicate matters, steady winds, and the birds were thrown into some thick cover. The dogs who had great lining skills through thick factors, will be the winners there. 4th series tomorrow.

Have to say, though, the people were incredibly nice, not uptight and great to talk to! Most were wearing Camo - which I specifically told my husband NOT to wear for fear we'd look like dorks. And I made some awesome new training partners who've invited us to come whenever we can!!! Score!

Tomorrow we watch Amateur stake.

Thanks for asking and for all the nice replies.

#26 ·
Jen
I hate to come across as the bad guy but you need to realize that you were not training your pup, you were testing her.

You got away with it but if she had broken you would have had no recourse but to shout at her and hope she listened. There was no collar or leash on her and if she had ignored your shouting you would have done an excellent job of teaching her it was OK to break.

Never put yourself in a no win situation.

#31 ·
Perhaps Jen has a different way of correcting the dog. We have a snapshot of what was being done and don't have the total picture. I myself might do this differently from Jen but that doesn't necessarily mean she's wrong. I get the feeling Jen does have an effective training plan. And I would bet that Jen knows how ineffective it is to shout at the dog.

A while back I had posted a link to a video on training on the Winnepesauke River in NH, just to get a video on water work by a golden that loves water. What I didn't say at the time was that it was part of my steadying process and I had just steadied her. I also did not mention that in the video there is no check cord, no ecollar, no heeling stick but that doesn't mean I had no tools.

#28 ·
Polmais,

We were not entered in this trial, just there to watch and learn. And, yes, of course the goal is to have a steady dog who doesn't need to be talked to, choke chained or collar stimmed. We are slowly working toward that goal. Kind of like when training a dog to heel, you end up saying heel more than you should to make sure they continue doing it.

Love those steady Scottish dogs!

Jen

#32 ·
I think you guys are getting a little to anal, trying to make a big training deal out of what was posted as a humorus situation of a woman holding her dog at heel with live geese temptingly close. The dog was clearly interested, could have broken and created havoc, but didn't, no big deal, just a fun post.

edit: mine is just a general comment, I'm not refering to gdgnyc's post.

#33 ·
John, truth is your comment made me smile. And you could say anything about me or my comments because you are always sincere, not abrasive, and someone who I consider an RTF friend.

#40 · (Edited)
Oh...goodness ...

A Belated Happy First Birthday!, "Ryder" !! :bday:

A very good girl ..learning to not go get the wild life..unless "working" and told to do so!! :) Her keen interest was great!!

Sounds like the trip to watch the FT was well worth it..in many ways!

Judy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.