The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Best digital camera/HT

  1. #1
    Senior Member gmhr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    3,732

    Default Best digital camera/HT

    I am looking at buying a digital camera just for taking dog pictures at hunt tests and field trials, so it has to have a good zoom. ANy recomendations?
    Thanks
    Cyndi

  2. #2
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Cyndi

    I don?t know anything about cameras, but I just bought a digital. I bought a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. There are so many to choose from with all sorts of features, it was hard to make a selection. I also wanted zoom. So the first criteria was 10X optical zoom. Digital zoom is a meaningless feature. While researching the camera it was stated in some reviews that at 10X optical it is hard to take a clear shot without image stabilization (IS). Only 2 cameras in my price point (around $500.00) had the feature. The Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS both had (IS). Both are good cameras, but the Canon was around $100.00 less money. The Canon cost around $450.00 from Walmart.com. I did find it for less money at some on-line outfits but wasn?t sure about them. Retail for the camera $499.00.

    For the $450.00 I spent I got a fairly feature rich camera. I have spent the last 3 weeks learning to use it and am just getting comfortable with the 16 buttons, knobs, dials, levers, etc.

    There are a lot of good choices available. There are 23 10-12X optical zoom cameras available at Yahoo shopping.

    Without having very much experience and almost nothing to compare it to, so far I am happy with the Canon.

    Joe Miano ? novice dog trainer ? extreme novice photog.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Cyndi, I have found that PC world does a good job of comparing digital cameras...

    http://www.pcworld.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bainbridge, NY
    Posts
    255

    Default

    I have an Olympus 750U with 4.0mp and 10X zoom. Great resolution and zoom capabiliies which gives super pics. The problem is shutter lag when doing action shots. It is very difficult to time the action to get the shpot you want. However, it does have a short movie mode which can be used.

    Dan
    I hope to become the man my dogs think I am.--anon

  5. #5
    Senior Member jeff t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc
    Cyndi

    I don?t know anything about cameras, but I just bought a digital. I bought a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. There are so many to choose from with all sorts of features, it was hard to make a selection. I also wanted zoom. So the first criteria was 10X optical zoom. Digital zoom is a meaningless feature. While researching the camera it was stated in some reviews that at 10X optical it is hard to take a clear shot without image stabilization (IS). Only 2 cameras in my price point (around $500.00) had the feature. The Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS both had (IS). Both are good cameras, but the Canon was around $100.00 less money. The Canon cost around $450.00 from Walmart.com. I did find it for less money at some on-line outfits but wasn?t sure about them. Retail for the camera $499.00.

    For the $450.00 I spent I got a fairly feature rich camera. I have spent the last 3 weeks learning to use it and am just getting comfortable with the 16 buttons, knobs, dials, levers, etc.

    There are a lot of good choices available. There are 23 10-12X optical zoom cameras available at Yahoo shopping.

    Without having very much experience and almost nothing to compare it to, so far I am happy with the Canon.

    Joe Miano ? novice dog trainer ? extreme novice photog.

    Joe,

    Is there any shutter lag (or maybe its actually auto focus lag) with your Canon PowerShot ?

    I've worked with a number of digital cameras and the shutter lag drives me crazy.

    I want to be able to take action shots...that lag time often misses the action!
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

    FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

    Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

  6. #6

    Default

    If you don't mind spending the money I would serious look at the Canon Digital Rebel. It is an excellent digital SLR. I know that this will be my next digital camera. You can either buy the kit (comes with lense, case, etc.) or you can buy the body only and purchase the lenses (zoom) that you want. This digital camera is 6.3 megapixels, has basically no shutter lag and I think you can take a burst of four pictures. Go to www.cnet.com to review this camera and get latest prices.

  7. #7
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T.
    Is there any shutter lag (or maybe its actually auto focus lag) with your Canon PowerShot ?

    I've worked with a number of digital cameras and the shutter lag drives me crazy.

    I want to be able to take action shots...that lag time often misses the action!
    Jeff

    Yes, there is a bit of lag. I also expect it is auto focus lag. I have gotten an appreciation of what it takes to get a good shot. It is hard to get a good aerial shot of the dog. I have a quite a few with him starting to take off in one frame and landing in the next or his head in coming into the frame in one and his butt leaving the frame in the next.

    The camera has a burst mode @ 1.7 frames per second. It also has a 640-480 movie mode.

    At my price point and wanting an all in one camera, I don?t believe I could have gotten much better performance without stepping up to a dSLR.

    Joe Miano

  8. #8

    Default

    Just ordered the Digital EOS Rebel. Abes of Maine was the cheapest I found and is an authorized Canon dealer. Now I have to save up for the 300mm telephoto zoom lens.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jeff t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T.
    Is there any shutter lag (or maybe its actually auto focus lag) with your Canon PowerShot ?

    I've worked with a number of digital cameras and the shutter lag drives me crazy.

    I want to be able to take action shots...that lag time often misses the action!
    Jeff

    Yes, there is a bit of lag. I also expect it is auto focus lag. I have gotten an appreciation of what it takes to get a good shot. It is hard to get a good aerial shot of the dog. I have a quite a few with him starting to take off in one frame and landing in the next or his head in coming into the frame in one and his butt leaving the frame in the next.

    The camera has a burst mode @ 1.7 frames per second. It also has a 640-480 movie mode.

    At my price point and wanting an all in one camera, I don?t believe I could have gotten much better performance without stepping up to a dSLR.

    Joe Miano
    Thanks for the info Joe,

    I think I'll wait for prices to drop a bit. I've been stimulating the economy enough lately and one of my dogs may have an MRI and an orthopedic surgeon in his future
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

    FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

    Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

  10. #10
    Senior Member jeff t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG_SKY
    Just ordered the Digital EOS Rebel. Abes of Maine was the cheapest I found and is an authorized Canon dealer. Now I have to save up for the 300mm telephoto zoom lens.
    Sounds good!

    If you think about it after you have had a chance to use it, please tell us how you like it.

    Here is a thread that might be helpful to you down the road when you need accessories...
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...igital%20Rebel
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

    FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

    Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Similar Threads

  1. Digital Cameras - What's New
    By North Mountain in forum Product Review
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
  2. CAM Corder/or Digital Camera.
    By Dogtrainer60 in forum Product Review
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
  3. Digital Cameras GDG
    By Vicki Worthington in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 08:39 PM
  4. Digital camera
    By Noah in forum Product Review
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •