The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Yesterday

Default Yesterday

Passed without a whimper on this forum, but I'll update you!

The 72nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

Some clips -

FDR put all Japanese Americans in internment camps though they had committed no crime except being of Japanese ancestry, many when they returned had lost everything they accumulated. I wonder how criminals today would feel if they were made to live under those conditions.

Had the US not risen there would be more Japanese & German speaking countries in the world today!

When folks were drafted their home life shut down - many were boated (if the boat made it) to Europe, Africa & the Far East, spending several years there. Only method of communication was V-Mail (like writing on toilet paper). Pay was $21/month for a private.

When you think of all the freedoms you enjoy, you might want to thank those guys, most of whom have now passed.

The last war we have fought where our country was threatened, the threat today is cultural, we need to recognize that .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

My Mom and Dad used to tell me what it was like the day they bombed Clark field in the P.I. the same day they bombed Pearl, my dad was already commissioned in the Army but he knew it meant war,basically overnight...

When I was in high school, I tagged along with my brother Monico on a field trip that he took his jr hs social studies class to Manzanar. It was one of the internment camps up in the California mountains, but believe me it was no resort...It was a surreal experience, to even try and fathom what we as a country did to an entire group of people, many of whom were US citizens. It was shameful and a subject that was glossed over in the history books
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Passed without a whimper
    it did,
    weekend?
    'cause it was so long ago?
    other than you how many here in POTUS were even alive?
    the place I work, Bove's Cafe in Burlington, Vermont also opened on that day. Of course my Boss's Mom had no idea what the Japs had planed. We had a big day.
    The last war we have fought where our country was threatened, ....
    that is arguable
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My Dad is now gone, he fought with General Patton until he was wounded crossing into Dusseldorf, Germany on April 16th, 1945. He recovered from his wounds but not before VE day. My Father-in-Law who will be 98 in January started the war in the Army air corps and spent the first two years of the war in the pacific, he contacted malaria, but recovered just in time to get into flight school. He became a pilot on B-17's late in the war and flew in the Pacific Theater. He is still very sharp and remembers all of his time in the war, but like most, he does not talk about it much.

I honor and respect my parents and all who put all of their tomorrows on the line so that we could have a free country, land of the free and home of the brave!

Like many here I am old enough to remember World War two but not all of it. I have been wondering for a few days now if one relative was correct....................she said over 300 planes attacked the islands. Is she correct ?
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Like many here I am old enough to remember World War two but not all of it. I have been wondering for a few days now if one relative was correct....................she said over 300 planes attacked the islands. Is she correct ?
    charly_t....I do not have the actual number at hand, but they came in two waves and the number of places did exceed 300....I sure someone will look up the exact number...