The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Benjamin Carson

What's funny is that I would say that Dr Carson's accomplishments are far greater than Obama's and certainly he overcame more than Obama did to achieve them. Although I didn't find Dr Carson to be an exceptionally polished speaker, I did like what he had to say and thought his points were pretty much on the mark. It was really interesting to see Obama's reaction. Wonder who chooses the speakers at that event, also wonder if Dr Carson and Obama have some kind of past history.
    Last edited by HPL; 02-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I can guarantee you Obama knew what Dr Carson was going to say.
    Explains his childish reaction when the doc was introduced and his poor attempt at being indifferent during the speech.

I would add, we have a polished speaker in the WH now. I would much prefer a speaker who actually SAYS something.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Explains his childish reaction when the doc was introduced and his poor attempt at being indifferent during the speech.

I would add, we have a polished speaker in the WH now. I would much prefer a speaker who actually SAYS something.
    What we have in the Whitehouse is the personification of affirmative action and entitlements.
    Opportunities not available to everyone.
    Stan b & Elvis

I watched him on Hannity last night and was very impressed. He is supposed to be on again next week. Oh, Hannity is still as bad as I remembered.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post

Since Carson mentioned that he has had several speaking engagements, I'm guessing that he has given that speech before to other groups, so his views and ideas were known. It's too bad that the media have not reported on his ideas before. Too bad Romney & Ryan didn't sit down with Carson before the election! If his ideas on health care access and education started today, in 20 years we would see a difference. Since everyone keeps talking about "fixing" the budget and deficit in terms of at least 10 years (with things that probably will never take place, as we can see from the POTUS proposals), 20 years would be quite reasonable to change the system completely to put more emphasis on individual responsibility.

HPL, I will "forgive" Carson not being too polished a speaker, since he is not a speaker by profession ... he is a highly skilled doctor with a lot of human caring incorporated in his character. What I would never have known, except for this video, is that his intellect is not limited in its problem-solving capacity to the narrower field of his own specialized expertise.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

One other thing... If Dr. Carson keeps speaking on Fox or other conservative media outlets, (which is A-OK with me) he will soon be demonized by the left as an Uncle Tom. They will take him down just like they try to do any other minority or female that doesn't march to the left-wing mantra.
    Bill Davis

Thanks for the post, Russ. Good stuff as usual coming from you.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    HPL, I will "forgive" Carson not being too polished a speaker, since he is not a speaker by profession ... he is a highly skilled doctor with a lot of human caring incorporated in his character. What I would never have known, except for this video, is that his intellect is not limited in its problem-solving capacity to the narrower field of his own specialized expertise.
    My point was: Obama comes off as a pretty polished speaker, very slick, but is in fact a bit of an empty suit, whereas Dr. Carson, although not a really polished speaker is clearly the greater intellect.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    My point was: Obama comes off as a pretty polished speaker, very slick, but is in fact a bit of an empty suit, whereas Dr. Carson, although not a really polished speaker is clearly the greater intellect.
    Agree, HPL, but I now find Obama's oratory repetitive ... the same pauses, emphases, tonality, etc. Easy to tune him out. Carson speaks with a passion for what he's saying that makes you want to listen for what else he has to say.

As for intellect ... Carson became the best in his profession by hard work and proving he could solve complex problems. It took some courage, as well, to make the points he did in his speech in front of the group he was speaking to.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Error Correction: the name of the TV movie on Carson's life is "Gifted Hands".
    You may be interested in this YouTube interview of Carson:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tTzcwfHeU&NR=1

I've been reading some stuff tonight that mentions that Bush had proposed a program similar to Carson's idea of the HSA. I wonder if Bush got the idea from Carson ... as Carson was awarded the Presidential Medal of Honor by Bush.

If you put Benjamin Carson in the YouTube search, his name comes up at the top of the list as soon as you enter "Benjamin". His speech at the Prayer Breakfast has at least three posts up on YouTube ... for a total of over 600,000 hits. Guess there will be a whole lot of people who know about Dr. Carson now.

There are also some other speeches of his made over the past 5 years. There are a couple of short ones, but most are about a half hour in length.

It's pretty amazing that he became head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins by age 33 ... 4 years of med school, 2 years of internship, 3 years (or more) of residencies ... that would make him around 30 already. He has to be a pretty remarkable intellect (and doctor!), indeed.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com