The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dr. Benjamin Carson

I wonder if he would have won 99% of the black vote if he had run for president 5 years ago against a white guy.

LOL! The Hill reported that the WH had asked for an advance copy of Dr. Carson's speech for the Natl Prayer Breakfast. Carson told them that he doesn't write his speeches in advance, so he just gave them the Biblical texts he was going to base his speech on ... and that would give them an idea of what he intended to say in his speech.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Cavuto at Fox News had done an updated interview with Dr. Carson
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/220324942...tcmp=obnetwork

Carson answers Cavuto's questions with calm facts. Before the breakfast, the Committee urged Carson "not to offend the President".

Carson also talks about health care again. He indicates that during the debate on Obamacare he was contacted twice by the administration via phone. The first time, the conversation ended when he told the caller he was an "independent". The second time, he was in the midst of teaching a class, and asked to speak later. They didn't call back. He mentioned this to Axelrod (although it is unclear, it would appear that he may have called A because he did want to be part of the health care discussion). Axel told him that it was probably an "immature" person who called him previously ... although it would also appear that did not change the end result: that Carson was willing to be part of the discussion, but was still not invited to be part of it.

A lot of people are calling for Carson to run for President. He might be better suited for the Dept. of Health? If we had a leader (POTUS) who really wanted to take Carson's approach of "solving problems", there are many great minds in this country, who are apolitical in their method of finding solutions to problems. It would only take a "leader" to bring the greatest minds together in his cabinet to do such problem-solving.

I'm still recalling IBM's offer of free software to solve the Medicare fraud & waste. I think there are still many "greedy" capitalists who are socially cognizant and $ is no longer even a factor in their willingness to "serve" the country. These are the people whose nature is to put patriotism ahead of politics. Like Carson, they don't seek the political power, they simply want to help solve problems they honestly see as solvable. Yeah, maybe I am naive.

The govt ADMITS that here is probably $125 Billion of waste/fraud in Medicare alone! That is more than the whole $85 billion of "cuts" for sequester ... and there would be NO pain in cutting waste & fraud. If IBM's software were able to eliminate just HALF of that $125B, we'd be way, way ahead of the present game.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Benjamin Carson's speech at CPAC
    http://www.therightscoop.com/full-sp...-at-cpac-2013/

Carson doesn't rule out a political future, but implies that his first mission after retiring from medicine will be his Carson Scholars. I'm incredibly impressed with this man's common sense. Could you imagine a ticket: Rand Paul/Benjamin Carson? Carson, BTW, is not a Republican; he's an Independent.

Also listened to Sara Palin's speech. While I've never been a big Palin fan, it's hard to deny that she has great talent for energizing a crowd. And one has to give her some credit for being a supporter of Cruz, Rubio and Haley when the establishment was not.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Benjamin Carson's speech at CPAC
    http://www.therightscoop.com/full-sp...-at-cpac-2013/

Carson doesn't rule out a political future, but implies that his first mission after retiring from medicine will be his Carson Scholars. I'm incredibly impressed with this man's common sense. Could you imagine a ticket: Rand Paul/Benjamin Carson? Carson, BTW, is not a Republican; he's an Independent.

Also listened to Sara Palin's speech. While I've never been a big Palin fan, it's hard to deny that she has great talent for energizing a crowd. And one has to give her some credit for being a supporter of Cruz, Rubio and Haley when the establishment was not.
    Palin is nothing more that a media______ (pick you own word)...she was literally absent during the fall election, all she cares about is herself...there is a reason Fox didnt re sign her as a contributor, she brings nothing new or substantial to the table...time for her to go away
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Obama can energize a crowd. Come to think of it so could Hitler.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

As I said, I am NOT a fan of Palin ... nor a fan of Obama ... but they both have a talent for energizing a crowd. Such talent can be used for good or ill. Simply a fact. If Palin helped Cruz beat the establishment to get to the Senate (as Cruz believes she did), then let's not discount the usefulness of such talent.

Perhaps the Rs just have too much of a "stodgy" appearance. It's not the principles that are "wrong", but the presentation fails. Perhaps that non-stodgy persona is what makes her so good at cheerleading?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    As I said, I am NOT a fan of Palin ... nor a fan of Obama ... but they both have a talent for energizing a crowd. Such talent can be used for good or ill. Simply a fact. If Palin helped Cruz beat the establishment to get to the Senate (as Cruz believes she did), then let's not discount the usefulness of such talent.

Perhaps the Rs just have too much of a "stodgy" appearance. It's not the principles that are "wrong", but the presentation fails. Perhaps that non-stodgy persona is what makes her so good at cheerleading?

She does have a much better track record, than Carl Rove, with the money which is spent from her PAC. Yes, she did have some defeats but not even close to Rove.

BYW where are libs ganging up and attacking Carson. Are the setting on the PC sidelines? If his words would have come out of Palin's mouth, this thread, would have been a free for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    She does have a much better track record, than Carl Rove, with the money which is spent from her PAC. Yes, she did have some defeats but not even close to Rove. No argument there.

BYW where are libs ganging up and attacking Carson. Are the setting on the PC sidelines? If his words would have come out of Palin's mouth, this thread, would have been a free for all.
    I don't think Sara and Carson are in the same class ... Sara has a talent for energizing a crowd. Carson does the same thing but with far different style. I don't think that Palin can approach Carson in overall intellect. As Carson stated himself, his profession is about finding a solution to a problem with logic. Obama always presented himself (or was presented) as "pragmatic", but his pragmatism (if there is any there) is directed by his ideology first and foremost. His ideology leads him to the govt taking care of the poor. Carson believes, it would appear, in teaching the poor how to become un-poor. There was much more struggle in Carson's life experience than in Obama's. I don't see that kind of struggle in Palin's background either. So, when you look at Carson's life experience, that is something a lot of people can admire and/or relate to.

I think that is what makes Carson appeal to the conservative mindset ... he embodies the concepts of pursuit of excellence and individual responsibility. Those are qualities to be admired in ANY individual, but especially in someone who began at the lowest rung of the ladder and with all the odds against him being so successful.

If he has not been "attacked" on this forum, then it is to the credit of the group ... this man is quite a remarkable human being.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

This is the first time I've read about this. It may have been in his last book, but I don't recall it.
    When I was in high school, I joined the ROTC initially because I was attracted to the uniforms. I figured they would provide an opportunity to escape the constant berating by fellow students owing to my outdated clothing. I was fascinated with the guns and became an excellent marksman, winning several marksmanship awards.

I also led a drill team, which was very advanced with the art of disassembling and reassembling military rifles in record time. I advanced through the ranks, eventually becoming the city’s ROTC executive officer and was offered a scholarship to West Point. (I can easily imagine that with the natural abilities that made Carson a great neurosurgeon, taking apart and reassembling a firearm was a piece of cake.)

I gained great respect for the military and its role in procuring and maintaining our freedom. I also gained great appreciation for firearms, as well as an understanding of how they can be used for great good or great harm.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2nBrsT3fc

While Carson may have no political experience, he probably has more military knowledge than any of our recent POTUS'es. I'm not equating ROTC with combat experience, but with respecting the training, discipline and patriotism of a large portion of our military (and acknowledging, of course, that there are some slimeballs in every profession, including the military)

His view of the 2nd Amendment:
    Obviously, it was felt that people had the right to protect themselves and their property, as has been the case with civilizations throughout the history of mankind. The method of protection and the types of arms used to achieve it has varied with technological advances. Some people prefer to focus on the intent of the Second Amendment, rather than the weapons themselves.
    During the Revolutionary War for American freedom, the British, who are now our close allies, were not interested in anything that promoted American independence and freedom. They placed multiple restrictions on guns and ammunition destined for the American colonies. They clearly did not want to empower local militias that might at some point in the future threaten their military superiority.

In addition to being a deterrent to the development of a tyrannical central government, an armed populace can potentially be a tremendous support to the military and the police in the case of a military invasion by hostile external forces or in the case of insurrection by misguided internal forces. I am only referring to major conflicts — as opposed to home invasions and incidents without national implications, which generally can be handled with small arms.

If you subtract suicides, the number of individuals killed by guns in America is far less than the number killed by automobiles, yet the government does not tell people they can only buy approved types of automobiles with a limited horsepower — at least not yet.

We do, however, require that anyone driving a car on the streets of our nation have a license to do so, indicating the successful completion of adequate training. We do not grant licenses to certain categories of individuals who would be deemed unsafe drivers. This is done for the safety of the public at large.

Perhaps instead of getting into our corners and screaming at each other, it is time to engage in intelligent conversation about our desire to preserve the rights granted to American citizens by our Constitution while at the same time ensuring the safety of all of our citizens. The way we treat access to automobiles is a good starting point, although there is no perfect analogy. If we keep our goals in mind and dispose of ideological rhetoric, we can solve this problem.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com