RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Bumper boy vs thunder launcher

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Northernstorm 
#1 ·
I was wondering the advantages or disadvantage of both.

#2 ·
They both are great products. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I initially bought bumper boys because thunder only had five shooters, and I did not need that many. I quickly got sick of hauling, reloading, transporting, not being able to use other training equipment like wingers without needing different electronics.

Once thunder came out with two shooter, I sold bumperboys and immediately bought two.

I personally like the thunders better. Easier and quicker to reload. Easier to carry two into field with other things.

The only hard part is getting used to timing to properly prime the gas. Once you got that, they are easy.

#3 ·
Some people don`t like Thunders dummies,they are plastic.I`ve had no problems (we have 5 thunders).As far as priming ,yes our old Etch Marks can be tricky but the new Thunders are great,if you launch anytime between 5 and 15 seconds the throws are consistent.Flags on one and no flags on the same machine will result in inconsistency.
Got a couple Spiders coming and will give a review soon.Jim

#5 ·
Yes...Dogtra will work.Jim

#8 ·
gun dog supply sells them with free shipping. How often do you have to change the AA battery's in these launchers? I'm kind of torn between buying (2) BB or (2) thunder launchers. I like how BB has a "auto-run" option and how lite they are. But I Like how much cheaper the thunder launchers are and having better customer service is awesome. I already have Dogtra electronics so I dont have to worry about that cost.

#10 ·
gun dog supply sells them with free shipping. How often do you have to change the AA battery's in these launchers? I'm kind of torn between buying (2) BB or (2) thunder launchers. I like how BB has a "auto-run" option and how lite they are. But I Like how much cheaper the thunder launchers are and having better customer service is awesome. I already have Dogtra electronics so I dont have to worry about that cost.
I change my bateries about every 1 1/2 years.

#9 ·
I just got my new 5 shooter dropped off today. Can't wait to get it fired up!

#13 ·
Thanks,seems he is running a little behind......Jim

#15 ·
I have never handled a Thunder launcher. I have 4 Bumper boys, 2-2 shooters and 2-4 shooters. I also use their elec to run my wingers. Using the different "launching stations" on one elec receiver, I am able to fire a shot BEFORE the launch, launch the winger, then retire the visible gun marker. Or I can throw 2 launchers off one receiver. I have not upgraded to the newest elec, as I can do everything I need and do not see the need to spend the $$ right now. So I am very happy with my bumper Boys.

#16 ·
I own a bumper boy and have used a thunder many times. Based on my experience you get a more consistent throw with the thunder launcher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.