The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swim-by videos

Quote Originally Posted by Joel907 View Post
    Ok I'm new to the concept of swim by. Looks like a modified water force drill to me.
    What is the purpose and what are you trying to install in the dog having them exit to the left or right and run
    the bank.
    Joel, whereas there is an element of water force in swimby, its primary purpose is to introduce water handling skills to the pup. It is in effect T work transferred to water

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Joel, whereas there is an element of water force in swimby, its primary purpose is to introduce water handling skills to the pup. It is in effect T work transferred to water
    I thought I'd add that it's "T work" with the disciplined casting part included. (Disciplined casting = casting the dog to the intended point while the dog already has the bumper in his mouth) I'm not saying Marc intentionally left that out. I just thought I'd add a detail that to me, is an important part of swimby.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I thought I'd add that it's "T work" with the disciplined casting part included. (Disciplined casting = casting the dog to the intended point while the dog already has the bumper in his mouth) I'm not saying Marc intentionally left that out. I just thought I'd add a detail that to me, is an important part of swimby.

Chris
    Good point Chris. I prefer to introduce disciplined casting on land T work, where it is optional. That makes a nice set up for going into the swim by where casting with a bumper in the mouth is required.
    As you know this skill is beneficial later on in transition and advanced training, as it makes it less of a fight to handle a dog that has already picked up a bird, back and through a patch of cover or water that he has flared or avoided

To me it just looks like your teaching him to be a bank runner.
    Why would you not cast him back into to the water on the Right
    or left pile return ? Why would you need to handle ( cast ) a dog on a return throw obstacles ?
    Why would you not cast the dog from the right pile back into the water to the left pile then call him back before he exited the left bank. I'm just trying to understand.

To me it just looks like your teaching him to be a bank runner.
    Why would you not cast him back into to the water on the Right
    or left pile return ? Why would you need to handle ( cast ) a dog on a return throw obstacles ?
    Why would you not cast the dog from the right pile back into the water to the left pile then call him back before he exited the left bank. I'm just trying to understand.
    I have the dog swim by me a few times at the end of swim by; You eventually have to let the dog get out of the water, and let the dog know it is OK to get out of the water

That is some excellent dog work. Great job with that pup.

You eventually have to let the dog get out of the water, and let the dog know it is OK to get out of the water
    Yes but why do you want him to run the bank on the return?

I just don't see the need to handle a dog on the return with a bird in his mouth or cast a dog on a pile that's not there .

I'm just trying to understand I'm trying to get it

I just don't see the need to handle a dog on the return with a bird in his mouth or cast a dog on a pile that's not there .

It's about teaching control whether they have something in their mouth or not.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

First off, I didn't watch the video. When Im doing swim by I have the dog get out at the over piles as well as in front of me. You may see it as letting him run the bank on his return; however I have allready had him swim past that bank once or multiple times. Like I said earlier , we are trying to encourage a watery attitude, but hes got to get out of the water some time and some place. When I have the dog exit the water I usually give him an "Okay" command the first few times to let him know its allright to get out. Believe it or not sometimes dogs can be a little confused about that issue.

As to handling the dog with a bird in his mouth, reread the last part of what I said in post 13. If you still don't get it feel free to call me {660-886-6538}and I'll try to explain its various uses in future training. You are also welcome to come train with us sometime, as I'm not too far from Denton
    Marc Healey

The reason you teach the dog to "swim by" you with the bumper in his mouth is so that you install the tools to be able to communicate to the dog NOT to run the bank.

If this is your first exposure to "swim by" it is understandable that you'd wonder about it. If you study any of the popular programs, you are likely to find Swim by in there and you will see some variations of this drill shown in the videos posted. Keep in mind that this thread has only 2 sessions posted.

I think I get what you were thinking about the comment that the dog gets to "run the bank". You are probably referencing the part about the dog completing the swim-by, then exiting and running around to the boss. Some trainers will have an exit "runway" on dry land. They will require that the dog exit after the swimby, then continue running on dry land on the same line until they give the dog "permission" or a cue to go ahead and come on over. Theoretically, if you had enough real estate on the exit, you could let the dog keep running on the exit line until he was far enough out that he would run a straight line back to you and not hit water....but I think most trainers find that it's not necessary to get that precise.

Again, the swimby, including the dog being cast to "swim by" the trainer, bumper already in mouth, is what helps install your ability to tell the dog NOT to exit early when he/she wants to in later training sessions.

Make any sense?
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"