The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swim-by videos

I quickly searched and found Pat Nolan doing the swimby training in video form. He also does not have the bit exit runways.

I looked for clips of Rick Stawski's video, which I recall uses exit runways on his, but could not find any.

I have found that even if you don't have an exit runway on your standard swimby pond, you can introduce and get extended run outs after exit on other areas with a narrow bay where you "proof" swimby.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thanks Chris! That clip answers a whole bunch of questions for me out with the original thread.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Thanks Chris! That clip answers a whole bunch of questions for me out with the original thread.
    Polmaise,

When I came to Moira, County Down, Northern Ireland for Bill Beckett's Gamefair I had a great time discussing training philosophies with the other handlers. I was the only American there and I don't recall anyone there having ever used an e-collar.

What we found, the more we talked, was that dog training is dog training and there's more than one way to get there.

I was actually halfway through Swimby at home when I went to Northern Ireland. I packed shorts and some Keene warm weather footwear. I brought one sweater and one jacket. I found when I got to Northern Ireland that I had to bundle up every day. It was COLD. Meanwhile, back home the mosquitos were already out.

One thing I'd question about doing swimby in your climes is when and if the water temps got to a suitable level. Most will state that they avoid swimby training in cold water. The goal is for pup to be comfortable in the water and in a mental state to learn. I'd imagine it might be tough to get warm enough water temps in the UK to do it.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

One at a time is good Fishing! Over here..Probably why we use Multiple dogs in the field.And one dog at a time in Trials..I hear ya!

So it's a drill so you can Cast the dog back in the water in training if he runs the bank right ?

Or am I still lost.

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    One at a time is good Fishing! Over here
    Of course, Robt., your chums at NOBs and other northerly precincts will have a good titter about it as artificial, "circus trick" and lots of blather from Blighty about making a dog do something that it would do "naturally" anyhow. Righto, mate. Pay close mind to what Mr. Atkinson noted - not about the water temps necessarily (though that is sound advice too) but about the actual "swim(ming) by" aspect of it as a stratagem for water handling at a more advanced level.

My young expat acquaintance out of Northants is counting the days until he can begin swimby with his British Lab - after he gets the dog collar-conditioned, force-fetched and forced to the pile, of course, and through the double-T.

MG

As you 'Know' MG. I rarely have 'chums', Rather 'Long term friends'.But hey ' some are alway's stuck in the 1930's?..or even the 'Now'!.
    Kinda ' see the advantage of the advanced handling!...But not the 'relevance' in the field?..other than Having used it on more than one occasion,to 'exit' the dog to the best and or safest point,amongst multiple bogies.
    I envy, Your 'Ex Pat' !..He is in good company.
    You never did 'pm' the breed lines?.....
    Closing on 'Circus tricks', Most of them have been to a Circus,and 'applaud' at the performance!...then go home to dismiss the acts,as 'something they are unable to do',So it must be a trick

Quote Originally Posted by Joel907 View Post
    So it's a drill so you can Cast the dog back in the water in training if he runs the bank right ?

Or am I still lost.
    Joel, please read this link "Swimby" authored by Dennis Voigt of Retrievers ONLINE. This should answer your question. Swimby serves several purposes as outlined in Mr. Voigt's article.

It makes sense that you would feel lost if you are viewing this step as a stand-alone piece of dog training progression. It makes much more sense when applied in a stepwise fashion, chained with other steps in a program, each of which builds upon the prior step.

Please see this flow chart:

The flow chart comes from Mike Lardy's Total Retriever site. (also a link above)

For an economical read on the entire program, you may want to check this compilation of articles outlining the steps:

Total Retriever Volume I articles $24.95 is the cost.

Good luck! Chris

Thank you so much what a good read.