The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: E collar question

Default E collar question

How important is momentary stimulation vs. continuous stimulation on a tri tronics collar? I will be training one dog - if my finger releases the button doesn't the "juice" stop? What am i missing (rookie question). Thanks

You're right. Many use it the way you describe. That's how I do it.

Probably an equal amount are totally against doing it as you describe and use the built in timing of the nick provided by the collar.

In fact a lot of dog training is divided that way...

Honestly with certain dogs in certain situations the nick may be a good thing to have. I find it too hard to switch back and forth in my own mind more than switching the controls on the collar. The dog's I've had are tolerant of me timing the nick duration. Of course no one has ever asked them what they would prefer.

It's relatively easy to try to give such a short nick that you actually give nothing.
    Last edited by John Lash; 02-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Like John already stated, each trainer/dog handler has an opinion. I am a continous only guy. Have never used vib. mode and now never use momentary. Just the way I do it. I put pressure on until I get the result I am looking for and then off the pressure. It's about timing and teaching the dog to comply so he can make the decision to turn the pressure off. On that note, I like my TT Pro 100 G3. Don

When I was a newby, I felt the nick was important as it did not let the heat of the moment color my correction. I think it helped my dogs then.

After 20 years, I like the continuous better as it allows me to vary the correction. I like what I do now.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

To some degree it depends on the dog as to what mode I am in. With my Shadow it is always in continuous. With Rowdy, just the opposite, in momentary (after completion of ecollar condtioning).
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by esoxhawk View Post
    How important is momentary stimulation vs. continuous stimulation on a tri tronics collar? I will be training one dog - if my finger releases the button doesn't the "juice" stop? What am i missing (rookie question). Thanks
    I am one that uses both and it depends mostly on what I am doing, not so much on what dog I am training. Most of the time though my finished dogs wind up on the nick. Their a bunch of roadies and know how to turn off the collar and I don't have to be concerned about pushing the button.

I see from your post that you are new to the collar. If I where you, I would stick to the nick for awhile. the continuous can put you in a place you do not want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I am one that uses both and it depends mostly on what I am doing, not so much on what dog I am training. Most of the time though my finished dogs wind up on the nick. Their a bunch of roadies and know how to turn off the collar and I don't have to be concerned about pushing the button.

I see from your post that you are new to the collar. If I where you, I would stick to the nick for awhile. the continuous can put you in a place you do not want to go.

Some new users forget to let up on the button in the heat of the moment....The timed nick prevents this ....I use continuous and vary the length of the stimulation as needed ...I think there are times the nick button is not enough to get the necessary correction ...Same level but a second longer has better results...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters