The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Border Security?

Default Border Security?

Last week, Janet declared the borders secure!!!

Napolitano says border is secure, though proof is lackingNo clear measure could scuttle immigration

By Seth McLaughlin

-

The Washington Times

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet A. Napolitano said Tuesday that "the border is as secure as ever," but that there is no single way to prove it - an admission that could jeopardize the immigration talks on Capitol Hill, where Republican lawmakers say border security is their top priority.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2OpgMrZuo
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Yesterday, Chuck and John watched a woman scale the "fence" and get arrested.

Senators' U.S.-Mexico Border Tour Runs Into Agents Apprehending Woman Climbing Fence

By CRISTINA SILVA, The Associated Press

NOGALES, Ariz. -- A bipartisan group of senators crafting a sweeping immigration bill vowed Wednesday that they would be ready to unveil it when Congress reconvenes in less than two weeks after getting a firsthand look at a crucial component of their legislation: security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The four senators – Republicans John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona and Democrats Chuck Schumer of New York and Michael Bennet of Colorado – are members of the so-called Gang of Eight, which is close to finalizing a bill aimed at securing the border and putting 11 million undocumented immigrants on a path to citizenship

The lawmakers' reassurance that their work would be complete by the week of April 8 came after a public feud erupted between the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the AFL-CIO over a low-skilled worker provision in the bill – a spat that remained alive Friday as Congress began a two-week recess. But Flake noted Wednesday that negotiations over the worker program had resumed; an AFL-CIO negotiator also confirmed the talks were back on.

During the tour, the senators saw border agents apprehend a woman who had climbed an 18-foot-tall bollard fence.

"You can read and you can study and you can talk but until you see things it doesn't become reality," said Schumer, who toured the border for the first time. "I'll be able to explain this to my colleagues. Many of my colleagues say, `Why do we need to do anything more on the border?' and we do. We should do more."

Which is true?
    What Janet says or what the Senators saw?
    Last edited by road kill; 03-28-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

the border is not secure. I type this a short 40 min drive to the US / Canada border. I cross it at least once a week. I have the enhanced VT operators lisence so it is easy for me and the guards on duty. Smuggling has gone on ever since there has been a border. They even named a moutain pass and then a ski area on that same moutain, for the history of Smuggling it has had. Come Ski Smugglers Notch VT. Our biggest issue up here is the Canadian Biker Gangs running drugs using the Indian reservation that straddles the border. And deer and moose setting off the fancy triggers they instaled in the woods.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Our borders have never been secure, and they never will be. The short and long of it is that there is too much border to secure. It simply can't be done. A lot of people want to dissolve homeland security. Guess what department the border patrol works under. Same thing with our maritime border. It's porous, too. For exactly the same reason. Get rid of homeland security and you get rid of the Coast Guard.

Napolitano spoke the truth- "AS SECURE AS IT EVER HAS BEEN". Ever heard of acapulco gold? That stuff has been coming across the border since at least the 60's.

So they witneesed an illegal being apprehended? Sounds like the Border Patrol did it's job (securing the border) right before their eyes. - Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Our borders have never been secure, and they never will be. The short and long of it is that there is too much border to secure. It simply can't be done. A lot of people want to dissolve homeland security. Guess what department the border patrol works under. Same thing with our maritime border. It's porous, too. For exactly the same reason. Get rid of homeland security and you get rid of the Coast Guard.

Napolitano spoke the truth- "AS SECURE AS IT EVER HAS BEEN". Ever heard of acapulco gold? That stuff has been coming across the border since at least the 60's.

So they witneesed an illegal being apprehended? Sounds like the Border Patrol did it's job (securing the border) right before their eyes. - Paul

The USCG was under the Treasury Dept except in times of war.

I can assure you, the USCG has a proud and noble mission.

Search & Rescue at sea!!!

Perhaps that has changed now.
    Stan b & Elvis

my Aunt started working for the border patrol in her home town of Derby Line, VT. in the early '70's and we have had some sort of Coast Guard ever since Benedict Arnold built our first fleet. Whomever put some brand new homeland security branch up and over such proud institutions musta been a dill hole!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Yes, a lot has changed over the years, Stan. They wear a lot of hats these days. Fisheries law enforcement, drug interdiction homeland security, and, of course, search and rescue. Back when I had my fishing charter boat business, they were under the DOT.

When it comes to funding they are the red-headed stepchild of the military, which is dead wrong, in my opinion.-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Yes, a lot has changed over the years, Stan. They wear a lot of hats these days. Fisheries law enforcement, drug interdiction homeland security, and, of course, search and rescue. Back when I had my fishing charter boat business, they were under the DOT.

When it comes to funding they are the red-headed stepchild of the military, which is dead wrong, in my opinion.-Paul
    When I served we were DoT.

I remember when I got sand bagged into working with the WI DNR on Lake Michigan.
    This KLOWN pulls out his weapon and is going to jump on a fishing tug, weapons drawn.

I refused, no fish is worth a man dieing.

He started given me this "do you know who I am?" bs, I told him "NO, do you know who the cammading officer of this vessel is???"
    He "Ordered" me to do his bidding, I told him to put the firearm away and STHU.
    My crew stood firmly behind me.

I took him back in.
    Never heard a word.

My pride came in heading out when everyone else was heading in!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

No it hasn't changed. But stating this deflates Paul argument, of how important Homeland Security is. Get rid of it and put the pieces back where they came from before we wasted all the money setting it up.

Richard

First, let me echo RK and Ken. We had both agencies well before "Homeland Security" and if we disbanded HS, we could certainly keep the useful divisions and put them back where they belong. As to our border being secure: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...........!!!! Perhaps some of you saw the story last week about a truck full of illegals that unfortunately attempted to cross into NAS Kingsville during a highspeed chase and hit the pop-up barrier at full speed, killing seven of them on the spot and putting the other eight in the hospital. We're 120 miles from the Mexican border. Illegals come up hwy 77 by the hundreds every week. Many are caught, but I would wager that most that reach Kingsville are pretty much home free. The last border check point is about 35 miles south of us, so if they don't get caught there, any apprehensions after that are just luck. The so called "border fence" is pretty impressive, but has giant holes all along it so that farmers can get to their fields. I've driven through the holes to get to a dove hunting site. No one there to see if we belonged there or not. To a great extent it is a joke.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    First, let me echo RK and Ken. We had both agencies well before "Homeland Security" and if we disbanded HS, we could certainly keep the useful divisions and put them back where they belong. As to our border being secure: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...........!!!! Perhaps some of you saw the story last week about a truck full of illegals that unfortunately attempted to cross into NAS Kingsville during a highspeed chase and hit the pop-up barrier at full speed, killing seven of them on the spot and putting the other eight in the hospital. We're 120 miles from the Mexican border. Illegals come up hwy 77 by the hundreds every week. Many are caught, but I would wager that most that reach Kingsville are pretty much home free. The last border check point is about 35 miles south of us, so if they don't get caught there, any apprehensions after that are just luck. The so called "border fence" is pretty impressive, but has giant holes all along it so that farmers can get to their fields. I've driven through the holes to get to a dove hunting site. No one there to see if we belonged there or not. To a great extent it is a joke.
    If you disband the parent org, but keep all the pieces, where are the savings?

as far as the rest of your post goes, thanks for helping to prove my point......-Paul