The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Health Guarantees and cashing them in????

Default Puppy Health Guarantees and cashing them in????

The 400 dollar puppy thread got me to post this as it's been on my mind.

I've seen some litters for sale with health guarantees where part of the agreement is if your pup has a problem you return the pup as part of making good on the warranty. How common is this? Have any of you done it?

So far my pup is fine...he hasn't hit the two year mark yet so I've had no x-rays done but....and according to my puppy contract I do NOT have to return him in order to make good on those clearances. My thing is that I'm pretty dang attached to him and there's no way I'd return him if I had that kind of warranty......just can't do it.

I don't think I could ever return a pup.......

The Mrs. would sooner trade me in then our pup! I could never do it either!

I have had to face the question. And my decision was no, could not, would not give up one of my boys. I suppose if you are truly a competitive person and only have room for dogs that can excel, it makes more sense to turn that pup over to a companion home. But I only play the games in order to spend more time with my dogs. I still believe 100% in the health screenings and guarantees if for no other reason than it shows me the breeder is doing the best they possibly can for the breed and the pups.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have been there Breeder said bring back and she would give me a new pup but I said I would keep.Her hips were bad so 13 years later when she past I was given pick of a litter as she knew I had not been able to do the things I had planned with the pup. Imagine my surprise but a Breeder that valued there word ,most contracts are worthless pieces of paper to make everyone feel good. It is all about who is behind the paper..

P.s. I told her not necessary as I had a great 13 years and would not take any of it back but she insisted she wanted it to be right.
    Last edited by classact2731; 02-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Scott

I agree....I wanted the health screenings for peace of mind and for the BEST chance to have a healthy dog. I'll take what comes from here forward....

classact2731.....sounds like your breeder in that case was a class act as well.

Health guarantee the usual is you can return the pup and get another pup or most breeders will let you keep the dog providing you show proof of spade or neuter and you are promised a comparable pup from a litter later on. I've had a few friends who had to cash in on the a new puppy but they kept the other dog.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I experienced this on my first dog. He failed his hip evaluation. The breeder allowed me to keep the dog and refunded my money.

I think the garrantee is bull, cuz the breeders know most people wont let the pup go, when they tell them they will take the dog back and put it down, and trade for another pup later. most arren't money back trade. You also might have some costs in traininng and surely vet bills. You never know what you will get till you get it, safest way for garrantees is to buy a started dog with ofa stuff done already. then you know some what, what you have. People are selling pups al around me for more money than I sell for, and I know they don't have the health clearances mine do. in my opinion its just a way to ATTRACT more business,

MY hat is off to the above mentioned breeders, I hope you know who you are.

t