The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy Health Guarantees and cashing them in????

At the English Setter kennel I manage , we have a TEN year health guarantee for hips/elbows and hearing. WE return 100% of your money, you keep the dog, for issues that affect the dog. We do NOT guarantee they will pass any time of certification (OFA/Pennhip) .
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I feel when you buy a pup, you know what you are getting based off of the parents. I understand that (using hips as example) you can get a dysplastic dog out of two good hipped dogs. Some of this can be environmental and some genetics, so should the breeder really have to pay for the environmental factor when there is no way to tell why the dog came back dysplastic? When you buy a dog, it is a gamble. It's not like you are going into wal-mart, buying a camera with a warranty, and using that warranty because something went wrong. You drop that camera off a building, should the warranty cover it? No. You let your dogs play on the ice and they injure themselves, should any warranty cover that? No. You let your dog become overweight and doesn't pass hips? Should warranty cover that? IMO, no.

Any dog I buy, the warranty means nothing to me. I made the choice to purchase a dog, knowing that somewhere down the road, there are going to be vet costs, and those are my costs because it is MY dog. That's part of the gamble with any dog. My breeders did the best they could from doing health clearances on the parents, running hunt tets/showing dog, and whelping/socializing my pup.

My last puppy failed his PennHip evaluation at 6 months (I do them prior to sending off for professional training), the breeder had a guarantee in place and honored it at 6 months after his Vet looked at the X-rays and agreed there was no possibility of him passing his OFAs. He did not have to, he could of waited the two years, but he knew I got the puppy for FTs and didn't want me to have to wait. He did offer a replacement puppy down the road also but we discussed the fact I did not want to wait another year. I also agree a guarantee is only as good as the person behind it. BTW the puppy was placed in a wonderful pet home and is loving life, best part of it is I get to doggie sit him every so often....it makes me happy to know how much he loves his new family! It was the best thing for him, his new family and us.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Friend of mine breeds (pet) labs, her warranty is full $$ back and you keep the dog, subject to examination by a vet of her choice. However, she has just added a clause that, if the dog is found to be 10% or more overweight by the vet of her choice, the warranty is void.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I think most breeders that "make you return" the dog/puppy know most people never will once they get attached... Thus, very rarely taking them back/honoring it...