The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Ambassador?

49 94.23%
  • Poor Ambassador?

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel you are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

Default Do you feel you are you a good ambassador to the retrieving sports?

With all the politics going on in the retriever games lately, and the failed economy. It got me thinking about the future of the retriever sport. Will this sport be around in the next twenty to thirty years? Am I doing the right things to promote the sport and to ensure it's around for my grand children to enjoy?
    Good ambassador.
    1) Do I introduce new people to the sport?
    2) Do I do my best to help other people train their dogs?
    3) Do I congratulate people when their dog has a great performance?

Poor ambassador.
    1) Is training all about me and my dog?
    2) I don't want anyone else's dog to perform better than mine.
    3) Do I talk about other people and their dog's short comings.

Take some time to reflect how you conduct yourself. And if you’re doing everything you can to ensure the sport is around for generations to come.
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 03-22-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

I don't think that anyone will actually take ownership for being a poor ambassador. There are plenty out there but self-recognition and change are not their strong points. I think that everyone can work harder at being "good".
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    I don't think that anyone will actually take ownership for being a poor ambassador. There are plenty out there but self-recognition and change are not their strong points. I think that everyone can work harder at being "good".
    I know 99 percent of the people won't take ownship for thier actions. And maybe a poll wasn't the way to go about it. But I want people to start thinking about how they affect the sport. Due to several reasons people aren't joining in this sport and there is a real need for the people in this sport to conduct themselves as good ambassadors. Don't give people another reason not to join the retrever games.
    Cold Creek Gundogs

I think most people are in-between. I know I am. Sometimes, I am good. Sometimes, I am bad. Most times, I am in the middle.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

By sports do you mean hunt tests and ft's or hunting or all dog sports?

My take. In addition to bragging about your dogs all the time and how they are doing in the selected arena one should

#1 join a club and be active
    #2 when club has a training session, work not just be a USER as most do
    #3 at a test or trail be part of the solution and work not just RUN
    #4 get involved more deeply, maybe start judging or be a rep at AKC meetings and stay well informed and make sure your cohorts in crime are also well informed.
    #5 brag about retrievers anywhere anytime politely

BTW if you are a USER or a RUNNER then your validity in the sport is suspect to all newcomers even if you gave years before they were born.

Then you might be a good ambassador but I am sure there are many more options.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

When I think of what a good ambassador of the sport is: I think it is someone who gives their all to the sport, they contribute their time,their land, they serve on both local and National club committees, they mentor, they encourage, they judge, they compete,they show humility when they win, they show class when they lose..I think of Raymond Goodrich, Tony Snow, Sal Gelardi...and although I have never met them I have been told that men like A.Nelson Sills and Oscar Brewer would embody the criteria of what I think an ambassador to the game is

I am a fan,a student and afficianado of the game,I like the dogs and enjoy the characters..I do not aspire nor do I see myself as an ambassador type
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I can answer yes to the first two. I will be perfectly honest about the third there are certain people I do not concratulate on their dogs performances. It all boils down to their attitude and sportsmanship. For the second three I have learned that a dog is a dog some days she's a champion others not so much. As to talking about other peoples dog's shortcomings, mine has enough to keep me busy. It is kind of like talking about other peoples' kids. Don't go there.
    We do a lot training with people who are very green. They set the goals for their dog and we try to get them there. One of our newest couples just want to see the dog run out and pick something up. I was a little worried that even this was going to happen but last weekend she picked up bumpers and Dokkens with no problem, now coming in that was another story. Most people would not give this couple the time of day but we want all retriever people to enjoy their dog no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    By sports do you mean hunt tests and ft's or hunting or all dog sports?
    I'm talking about all retrieving games. Hunt tests ,FT's & Hunting.
    Cold Creek Gundogs

If being honest is what constitutes a poor ambassador then I guess I fill the bill. I will congratulate someone & their dog for a
    good job but I will not lie about the job if it is obviously a poor one by handler or dog.