The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Warning Thunder Launcher users or anyone that uses small gas bottles.

Default Warning Thunder Launcher users or anyone that uses small gas bottles.

During training this past week using thunder launchers I stored my equipment in the truck bed as I normally do to move to a new location. I removed the gas cylinders from the launchers and stored them in the upright position. I placed the equipment in the enclosed bed of my truck. Whne I got to the next spot to train and I opened the bed of the truck I could smell the map gas. In just a few minutes I had lost half of a 4lb bottle of gas into the back of the truck. I am sure it was enough gas to kill a dog. Luckily I had let my dog ride in the cab with me. I am ordering Brass caps to seal the bottles. But on a hot day the bottles can still vent gas into the bed of the truck so my goal is to find some way to transport outside of the vehicle.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...p-2-pack/55148
    New retriever Champ 5/10/2014
    UH HRCH Brandywine Sue MH
    & GLSD: Finished Upland, Finished Retriever
    2013 GLSD Finished High point dog of the year.

I see no sealing mechanism on those caps. The ad says "Brass cap protects your 1 lb. cylinder threads." After having filled my own small propane tanks for years I suspect something interfered with the little nubbin on the top side that is used to release gasses while filling to avoid overpressure and get a fill of liquid. Works the same as when you take a tank to a propane dealer to refill and they open the screw thingy to release pressure and then close it when it starts to spurt.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    I see no sealing mechanism on those caps. The ad says "Brass cap protects your 1 lb. cylinder threads." After having filled my own small propane tanks for years I suspect something interfered with the little nubbin on the top side that is used to release gasses while filling to avoid overpressure and get a fill of liquid. Works the same as when you take a tank to a propane dealer to refill and they open the screw thingy to release pressure and then close it when it starts to spurt.
    This was a new bottle, I don't refill these bottles. When I put the bottle in the truck I could not tell that anything was wrong. When I pulled the bottle out it was defently hissing. The gas was coming from the port not from the pressure release valve. I could not get it to reseal so I emptied the bottle before putting back in the truck. I could not tell form the images if there was rubber pad in the top of the cap. If not I will add a rubber seal to the inside of the cap. It may not be prefect but its better than nothing. Until I can find a way to transport on the out side of the vehicle.

Have had similar situation with small propane tanks, I'm not at all familiar with the launchers you are using but while in operation they should never be used except in the vertical position, otherwise you are letting liquid out and the bottles seem to ice up more when that happens. My thoughts are the valve in the bottle is sticking open due to that. Even more so in cold weather.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"

Why not just leave them attached?? That's the safest way to transport to another set IMO!
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Why not just leave them attached?? That's the safest way to transport to another set IMO!
    Yep. I never take mine off until the bottle is empty.
    -Barton Ramsey

I don’t know if it’s true of the newer Thunder Equipment 5 shooters, but I have 2 of the older Thunder Bird 4 shooters and I never leave the bottle attached when transporting. With the T-Birds if something hits the rotator disk it will index to the next station, which is the charge station, it will empty a bottle. If this happens in an enclosed area, it could cause an explosion.
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"-----Rex Carr

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Stoneridge Misty Mornings at Mallards End MH "Casey"
    Mallards End Whats it All About Alfie MH QAA "Alf"
    Stoneridge Quick Pick MH CD RN "Quicker"
    CH BearCountry Teddy End O Lane MH CD RE "Teddy"
    Stoneridge I Rock N Roll MH "Rocker"

Thought I would pass on an update. The brass caps I ordered from camping world do have a rubber pad and they do seal the bottle. I have a 5 launcher and two 2 launchers and if they get turned they will leak gas. They do have a valve that you can turn off. I don't have room to transport the launcher in the upright position so I take the bottles out. I no longer leave the bottles in the truck with the dogs. I have them in the cab with me. If they leak I will know it.