The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Positive only?

Susan, you're a genius!

Always wondered how many ways Eug goes... guess it depends on how many pubs there are and in what direction.

So Jim, when adolescence and drive building creeps up on you and the great behaviors of those puppies begin to deteriorate in exciting situations, I assume you more to a more demanding demeanor?
    Sounds like the perfect time to collar condition and force fetch.

Sorry Darrin, couldn't resist.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Sounds like the perfect time to collar condition and force fetch.

Sorry Darrin, couldn't resist.
    You know how I feel Howard but sometimes... We don't get to make the rules!
    Darrin Greene

If you need a collar to make a dog come to you then you have issues with training

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barnett View Post
    If you need a collar to make a dog come to you then you have issues with training
    Blanket statements such as this are general pretty dangerous Bob. You tend to get made a fool of eventually.
    Darrin Greene

LMFAO!!!! Awesome Susan! Thanks for the translation!
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Ok, Bridget, I've got this one:

QUOTE=Colonel Blimp;1066663]Polmaise posted Robert, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Rugby; however as an Anglo Irishman living in wildest Wales I have a foot in many camps and can turn my coat as the situation demands. The village pub is as you might expect, a hotbed of the Taffia.

If I could trade England's Grand Slam for ten points for the Villa, Wales can bury 'em at The Millenium with my blessing!

Eug
    Eugene is saying, he not only goes both ways, but many ways (not that there is anything wrong with that). And, he likes to drink and gamble. I am not sure what this has to do with training dogs, but whatever..... it's RTF.[/QUOTE]
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Blanket statements such as this are general pretty dangerous Bob. You tend to get made a fool of eventually.
    I think I can handle it.

Just having fun the same way the poster that mentioned collars was having fun

sorry Bob I kinda know Howard, but haven't really posted with you much. I knew he was kidding.
    Darrin Greene

sorry Bob I kinda know Howard, but haven't really posted with you much. I knew he was kidding.
    No problem. I have done plenty of ecollar training and have nothing against it.
    I have just recently been corrupted by Milner

My question was... If you're +r only... is stepping on the leash not against that theory?

I really have NO PROBLEM with my colleague here stepping on the leash. If fact, I quite like the idea. There's just a flat collar on the dog. It's pretty gentle and has been effective for us in being able to focus on what we're working on vs. continually working on remedial training of basic concepts.

I just wanted to hear what some of the +r proponents attempting to do retriever work had to say about the idea.
    Stepping on a leash is "allowed." I'd call it negative punishment. You're limiting options.

It's a bit different if you're stepping on the leash while the dog is bolting away from you and you clothesline him.

It's even more different if you've set the dog up to be tempted to bolt and you step on the leash to clothesline him.

In any case, there are probably more efficient ways of teaching the lesson than relying on the leash. Leashes are seat belts, not steering wheels or brakes.
    Professional trainers would lack a job
    If every hunter owned a tolling dog

W. Avery Nickerson