RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Positive only?

14K views 72 replies 16 participants last post by  DarrinGreene 
#1 ·
+r only trainer faced with a dog self rewarding by playing keep away steps on leash or long line, making it progressively shorter to prevent pup from running away.

Is this really +r only?

I think if you tied me to a post by my neck and let me struggle against a flat collar I would view it as +p?

Thoughts?

#48 · (Edited)
Darrin,

You think that's difficult to interpret, just wait until me and crackerd get going in our native dialect, Brummie. What follows may not be fully clear at first reading because I've had to delete all the expletives which in Brummagem serve as punctuation marks.:rolleyes:

'Islot am orlrite but weem agooin dowun the suff. The Toffees stuffed the Baggies Sarrerdy, burrit do marrer, theym saefe. The vanilla am in the browun stuff.

Gorrit? 'Tae 'ard. This am we
Un thissens issn.

Eug

#54 ·
I wish the UK guys would speak American, Can anyone understand Palomaise on his videos? ;)

QUOTE=Colonel Blimp;1066663]Polmaise posted Robert, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Rugby; however as an Anglo Irishman living in wildest Wales I have a foot in many camps and can turn my coat as the situation demands.;) The village pub is as you might expect, a hotbed of the Taffia.

If I could trade England's Grand Slam for ten points for the Villa, Wales can bury 'em at The Millenium with my blessing!

Eug[/QUOTE]

#55 ·
Darrin,
Stepping on the leash is fine with me. I do it when I need to. I have my trainers do it (I have trouble getting the trainers to keep their hands off of the rope). I look at it as helping structure the scenario such that the behavior that you want occurs. Then you can pay the behavior. That is the only way to communicate to the dog what you want him to do.
You can accomplish the same thing by putting the dog in hall way and giving him a retrieve. Hallways, however, are not very portable.

#56 · (Edited)
Thanks, Jim. Have you trained any puppies where teaching the command "here" wasn't so easy to do?
I don't teach "here" as a command with puppies. Commands require enforcing. Until formal OB is begun, the "words" intended for use during formal training are imprinted. When I find myself "making puppies do stuff", it is time to start looking at my teaching skills. It helps to be a good "con artist".

For example, they "kennel up" initially with a treat. "Sitting" can easily be introduced by properly positioning a treat and/or a gentle push on the rump in context. This is not new territory. I don't do teaching lessons once or twice a day. My pups do everything in the context of their daily routine. I'm retired which means I'm always there.

They sit before getting out of crate. Sit when out of the crate to fit a collar on. They are leash broke early on by gently presenting the concept of "giving neck" (living room tethering sessions). Very soon, they walk with a loose leash to the door for airing. They know where they are going. Sit to open and exit doors and sit to be let off the leash once outside. No enforced commands or five minute lessons once in awhile...just simple routines. These are lifelong expectations which puppies are perfectly capable of doing early on.

The rationale is that good behavior is not a five minute drill. The key is that when done in context, very soon the pup will walk near you on a leash because he knows where we are going. He will sit when in front of the door because the door (being in context) "is where I sit". He will sit outside the door because he knows the leash must be removed. I find pups routinely exhibit the desired behaviors because it is normal. It is not unusual to have the pup sitting at the right time without you even asking him to do so. Very early on, the pup learns and accepts the "this is what I do because it is all I know" attitude. It is good to be proactive.

There's nothing wrong about teaching a pup what is check cord is. The problem is check cords are not for fixing "stuff". All too often it is eventually slapped on cold because the trainer is getting steamed at their pup for daring to play keep away.

The usual Internet routine is to answer the frustrated post "My pup is playing with me and I can't get him to bring the bumper back." Well how much time was spent on making it pleasant to return to you? Is the puppy leash broke? Has he ever dragged a check cord behind him and/or been condtition to it? The reply is usually in this context. "No, but I'll put one on him tommorow and he won't get away with that anymore." And the pup doesn't.

There is a huge difference in nuturing vs. demanding responsiveness. With very young pups I avoid "fixing stuff" with demanding presentations where control is the driving motivation. Work on responsiveness first and integrate control when it is age appropriate.

Which means.....no, I do not have any problems getting puppies to come to me WHEN that is all we are working on....and it begins when they are 7-8 weeks old......not when it suddenly becomes a nuisance.

#58 ·
So Jim, when adolescence and drive building creeps up on you and the great behaviors of those puppies begin to deteriorate in exciting situations, I assume you move to a more demanding demeanor?
Absolutely! Everything is in place to make "keep away' a non-issue the same day the pup discovers it. The best choice is obvious to the pup. Indirect pressure is cool.

#59 · (Edited)
Ok, Bridget, I've got this one:

I wish the UK guys would speak American, Can anyone understand Palomaise on his videos? :wink:

QUOTE=Colonel Blimp;1066663]Polmaise posted Robert, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Rugby; however as an Anglo Irishman living in wildest Wales I have a foot in many camps and can turn my coat as the situation demands.:wink: The village pub is as you might expect, a hotbed of the Taffia.

If I could trade England's Grand Slam for ten points for the Villa, Wales can bury 'em at The Millenium with my blessing!

Eug[/QUOTE]

Eugene is saying, he not only goes both ways, but many ways (not that there is anything wrong with that). And, he likes to drink and gamble. :D I am not sure what this has to do with training dogs, but whatever..... it's RTF.

#60 ·
Ok, Bridget, I've got this one:

QUOTE=Colonel Blimp;1066663]Polmaise posted Robert, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Rugby; however as an Anglo Irishman living in wildest Wales I have a foot in many camps and can turn my coat as the situation demands.:wink: The village pub is as you might expect, a hotbed of the Taffia.

Eug

Eugene is saying, he not only goes both ways, but many ways (not that there is anything wrong with that. And, he likes to drink and gamble. :D I am not sure what this has to do with training dogs, but whatever..... it's RTF.
Now that there is funny! I don't care who you are!

#62 ·
So Jim, when adolescence and drive building creeps up on you and the great behaviors of those puppies begin to deteriorate in exciting situations, I assume you more to a more demanding demeanor?​
Sounds like the perfect time to collar condition and force fetch.

Sorry Darrin, couldn't resist. :p

#72 ·
"Pure positive" is a straw man. No trainer never uses punishment. If a behavior decreases, it has been punished. That's perfectly fine, some behaviors need to be decreased. Counter surfing, peeing in the house, I would rather my dog not perform those behaviors. If they decrease in frequency, they have been punished. That is what the word means.

IMO "positive training" differs in two key aspects.

1) the rejection of positive punishment or applied aversives - popping a choke chain, smacking with a heeling stick, pinching an ear.

2) a greater interest in reinforcing desired behavior than in punishing undesired behavior.

This is not to say other trainers do not do the same, but its generally what seperates a positive trainer from a "traditional" or "balanced" trainer.

The quadrants are generally seen in +R/-P or -R/+P pairs. -P has always been "allowed" in +R training. "Positive" is just an abbreviated label.

And this isn't even getting into the difference between positive training and clicker training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.