The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious question, I swear: Excessive Gas

I feel your pain! I have a female who can clear a room! She's been like that from the beginning. I've tried diet changes until the last time we had to cut her open and sent a sample of her colon that came back as some sort of chronic intestinal problem. She has gas no matter what the diet. We do not give her anything except her food. I'm not going to say what we feed because I'm not getting drug into that BS debate. We've tried every major brand including some of the "natural" stuff with no grain, etc, etc, blah blah effing blah. beeno, gas-x, fiber, you name it... You'll get all kinds of answers on here. Go see your vet and find out if he has something more serious than an upset stomach. Best of luck to you! In the mean time, you can blame everything on him! ha

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Hey Carol, I thought blaming your farts on the dog was a mans trick
    Im awful glad to see you gals geting equal treatment & rights

I grew up in a family of 5 women and one man. It is expected for men to fart noisily and often. Ladies do not do that. So who do you think first learned to blame it on the dog? And no, I am still in the front office where there is lots of ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I grew up in a family of 5 women and one man. It is expected for men to fart noisily and often. Ladies do not do that. So who do you think first learned to blame it on the dog? And no, I am still in the front office where there is lots of ventilation.
    You are really cracking me up. One question: Ladies don't fart or ladies don't fart noisily. (I'm laughing as I write. Please excuse me, I am a gentleman and usually don't even discuss this in mixed company.)
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Back on topic please! I have considered getting one of those "brake fast" bowls with the bumps in them. But even though they will make the dog take smaller bites, I don't see how that will get him to chew. Maybe I will try putting a rock in the middle like I used to with horses that ate so fast. But the real issue, is pup has never, ever chewed his food. I had his teeth and bite checked early, no problem with that. He looks great and no apparent digestive problems other that that mentioned. This is not a new issue, just becoming aware of how pervasive due to the close quarters.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I just was on Dogs a field to order a new whistle and noticed they had the Break Fast bowls on sale.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I go with the suggestion of using a different food. When my Chessy girls ate lamb based feed, they also could clear the room. Switched to chicken and nary a peep out of either of them.

T. Mac

Back on topic please! I have considered getting one of those "brake fast" bowls with the bumps in them. But even though they will make the dog take smaller bites, I don't see how that will get him to chew. Maybe I will try putting a rock in the middle like I used to with horses that ate so fast. But the real issue, is pup has never, ever chewed his food. I had his teeth and bite checked early, no problem with that. He looks great and no apparent digestive problems other that that mentioned. This is not a new issue, just becoming aware of how pervasive due to the close quarters.
    My experience with those bowls was not good. The dogs eat just as fast and get frustrated chasing the food around the bowl.

Have you tried not pulling his toe?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Depends on what state your from,you oughta here the girls from Ohio.....haaaaa.

Yes this! He almost does not chew at all, never has. He opens his mouth and shovels it in. Even if you give him one bite at a time, he gulps it down whole. Any ideas?
    This was the one I changed the food on. Try it. And read about aerophagia. Don't waste your money on a break-fast bowl. Just use a rock.

I had tried muffin tins, cookie sheets, etc. He would only get frustrated and fling them...
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Have you given any thought to one of those feed bowls that are designed to slow down the quick eater? My cousin uses one with several little trap doors.
    One of these fancy bowls or go buy a cheap cake pan. Do you feed the dogs in the same room at the same time? Might be that pup is feeling that someone or something is gonna take his food thus the expedited inhaleing of his food.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE