The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hillman Fetch Command and Fundamentals Part 1

Default Hillman Fetch Command and Fundamentals Part 1

Anyone used either of these? I used his puppy program with my golden with great results and I am thinking about continuing with his DVD's rather than switch to Graham or Lardy. I really like his style and they way he explains things. I am new to this, and don't have anything to compare it to though. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Anyone used either of these? I used his puppy program with my golden with great results and I am thinking about continuing with his DVD's rather than switch to Graham or Lardy. I really like his style and they way he explains things. I am new to this, and don't have anything to compare it to though. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
    i guess you could say this is a free bump, but I'm also interested because I'm starting his puppy program in 2 weeks with my pup. I've already watched the puppy DVD and fetch. The fetch DVD is setup the same way in terms of the way he explains thing. I'm also considering putting mine through all his DVDs. In an email he sent me he said the fundamentals 2 which is water drills and such is fixing to come out.

I used Fetch (after hillmann puppy) and loved it. Got great results with my very high drive but very sensitive BLF. If he would have had basics/transition DVD out at the time, I would have used it. Based on his website, the steps probably won't differ much from the other popular Carr based systems (Lardy etc.) but the example he sets as a trainer (how he implements the steps/reads and trains the dogs) is the part I find most helpful and what I like most about the Hillmann material.

I really like Bill Hillmans puppy training DVD I am not sure what his other videos are like though - Hey everyone - what are the postives and shortcomings Hillmans DVD's have? Does anyone own both Hillman and Lardy or Hillman and Graham to compare the two?
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    I really like Bill Hillmans puppy training DVD I am not sure what his other videos are like though - Hey everyone - what are the postives and shortcomings Hillmans DVD's have? Does anyone own both Hillman and Lardy or Hillman and Graham to compare the two?
    My main question is similar to yours, by all means I'm not trying to hijack your thread jackh. But I'm curious to see if anyone has went through all of hillmanns stuff and compare that dog to a dog who's done something like Lardy

I bought the Hillman Fetch Command DVD after using the Hillman puppy DVD with my new puppy. I also bought the Lardy DVDs. I went with the Lardy approach only because it was more similiar to what I followed for my previous lab. The Hillman DVD is available if you are interested.
    "Never brag about a dog unless it's dead or 2000 miles away." :Cotton Pershall

Quote Originally Posted by dpate View Post
    I used Fetch (after hillmann puppy) and loved it. Got great results with my very high drive but very sensitive BLF. If he would have had basics/transition DVD out at the time, I would have used it. Based on his website, the steps probably won't differ much from the other popular Carr based systems (Lardy etc.) but the example he sets as a trainer (how he implements the steps/reads and trains the dogs) is the part I find most helpful and what I like most about the Hillmann material.
    This is pretty accurate. You've often heard it said, "the yard is about pressure". Bill puts a big emphasis on the yard "being a game". The reinforcement is there, but it's a more subtle implementation of it. Lots of practice and repetition is the method to reliability, not elevated levels of pressure.

Bill does a shorter, more simple Single T, and does not do a Double T. After Single T, he does 3 legged patterns, for lining and casting. He makes a big reference to DL Walter's Book for running 3 and 5 legged pattern blinds and walking baseball to teach dogs to cast. He also is a big proponent of walkout blinds. Somewhat of a departure from what some others practice (e.g. Danny Farmer who goes straight to cold blinds after TT and 8 wagon wheel casting/lining)

In my opinion, you need at least a rudimentary understanding of what the purpose of yard work is, and what the purpose of specific components are, and what the finished product needs to look like, to get the most of Bills Fundamentals DVD. That's not to say a complete newbie couldn't do fine with it, but it is not lined out as explicit as some other programs. There's not a "flow chart" so to speak. You need to know enough about some of the really basic yard drills and when to insert them into your training. If you do the drills he demos in the DVD, you'll be pretty well covered, BUT knowing some of the other basic ones would be helpful as well. For example, I started single T today. I run it at lunch, but first thing in the morning when I'm doing some heeling, traffic cop, etc.... I've been doing a little 4 bumper lining to work on heel/here pivoting. Bill demos a 3 bumper drill to cue a dog where to look (which is very helpful for fine lining), but it doesn't replace the wagon wheel type stuff for the mechanics of "bigger" push/pull type movements.

Kind of hard to explain, but it leaves you with a more "casual" approach to yard work. Like the puppy DVD, it really (for me anyways) gets YOU the trainer in the correct frame of mind to train. If you like his method of training in the puppy DVD, I think you would like the rest of his material. I used one of the other programs mentioned earlier for my two other Labs. I feel it is complete program, and I learned a lot, and still reference it frequently, BUT I am really enjoying training this way. It's not a reinvention of the wheel, but it's different enough to have a substantial impact on your philosphy towards training.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

I have all Hillmann's DVDs and the philosophy is similar in all, teach, reinforce and practice. The idea is to keep the game fun for the dog and the trainer. The new video, retriever training fundamentals, is great! I have used the Hillmann method for years and to see each critical step in real time, i.e. unrehearsed, is the best learning experience you can get. It is a video of the training of an unexperienced dog. The videos were taped over months of actual training, showing the advancement of a young, naive dog. You see the dog do well, do poorly, and shown how to get the dog to advance through the rough spots. This system, and philosophy works, and a trusting and exciting relationship is developed between the dog and the owner. There is a progression of the dog, as outlined in the chapters. But since there is overlap in these steps, and the progression is dependent on each dog, it is difficult to give an actual time-line. Progressing a dog in a way that builds confidence results in an accomplished hunting/field trial dog and a great companion.

Thanks Mountain Duck and Mnt, good information!!

I personally can't wait my my new pup and I to jump on the Hillmann bandwagon once we have the funds.