The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Between series at a HT

I think it depends on your dog, how you read him and the relationship between the two of you. I don't think there is one right answer. If it were my dog, I'd coach all I could because my guys want to please all they can. Definitely be training before the next test. Good luck! The tests are a lot of fun for our dogs and us.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    If you have a problem during a test chances are it should have been dealt with long before entry of the hunt test. So to answer your question No I wouldnt leave the test to try and fix a problem. Some dogs that are extremely excited when they get to hunt test I like to take out and give them a good run and lots of marked retrieves prior to going to the hunt test just to give them a chance to release some of their nervous energy, I think it helps with some of the younger dogs creeping problems and calms them so that they dont drag you to the holding blinds.
    An Amp'ed up dog isn't going to necessarily calm down just because you increase the amperage prior to another high output event. If you have a creeper or dasher, you either need to fix the problem before test day or scratch since it's a hole in your training program. Now, with the correct amount of healing sermon prior to said high output event, you just might salvage your entry fee but those sermons will become longer events.
    Just Win

We have been able to correct a problem or two away from the test with good results. Depends on the dog and the problem.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    I believe it's possible to make a quick trip to church and salvage the day.

very possible and has been effective me for before. morning test of my young boykins HR title last year he was a bundle of uncontrollable brown nerves. did the work fine. but took several minutes it seemed to get him lined up for the blind. acted like he had never seen a slip lead before, and couldnt keep his front lets still on the marks. almost roped him but we get through. but i knew we were on a short leash that afternoon. had a buddy with a hunting club close by and we worked on a few things during lunch. came back and ran close to the top on the water series and he nails the marks, without moving, lines the blind and does the walk out like a pro, then the judges asked me what i did with the dog i ran that morning. SO im a firm believer in noon church services.

I have been late to a Hunt test because of a certain behavior showed up the morning of a hunt test, I had taken time away from tests to correct it and during training the dog didn't show it for a week before the test, the morning of we went and did what I thought would be a quick healing session and it turned out to be 30 min long - I think she sensed my nervousness long story short she healed and honored very well that weekend and got two passes. it can work I believe as long as the dog has had training prior to the event for the issue.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    I believe it's possible to make a quick trip to church and salvage the day.
    Me too.

Just remember it as a hole and fill in your holes in regular training.
    Last edited by Howard N; 02-10-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Judging by the trucks that leave after a marginal performance & return prior to the next series, the practice is widespread. With my dogs it is a waste of time except to release excess energy.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Me too.

Just remember it as a hole and fill in your holes in regular training.
    Yes, but it depends on the problem. Some can be fixed with a come to Jesus depending on the dog and the problem. Most problems, however, are problems and didn't just happen on Saturday morning and can't be fixed on Saturday afternoon.
    I had a buddy with a creeper and every test he would have to have a meeting with the dog. The dog did not become a creeper overnight and all his meetings did was turn the dog into a breaker on Saturday afternoon.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by krazybronco2 View Post
    i am new to the game as well and was wonder what exactly "test wise"? here is what im thinking it is. the dog nows they are off the collar and you cant correct dog and they know it. and if this is what is "test wise" is there a way to correct it other than going to alot of training days with a club and running there with out the collar
    It's not just about the collar, but often times about the standard. Too many times handlers start ribbon chasing and letting the dog get loose just trying to get through the series. This could be sloppy sit whistles, sloppy handling, creeping ,etc. You need to keep the same standards at a test as you do training and be willing to pick the dog up if they get loose. It can get expensive making donations, but if the dog learns the same rules apply on the weekends as throughout the week you can eliminate or at least minimize them being test wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    Would you consider taking a dog off of the test grounds to 'address' a behavior that you observed, in say the first series, like creeping etc. Or do you never 'train' on test day? ........
    I can not imagine how it is even possible.
    Saturday morning of test day you arrive at the grounds at first light.
    Unlock the equipment trailer and start stacking gear. Put everything in your truck for the level you are running. Drive to site, placing signs along the way. Stop and get ice for the coolers. Set up field, as the judges want. Re-set up the field a second time after judges realize the Sun rises in the east. Drive back to HQ and get all the gear for another level of testing because nobody at all at that stake seems to have a truck. Get back to the spot you are supposed to be just in time to run your dog. Throw dog back onto the truck and go out in the field and work. Get rotated out just in time to get the judges notes for the next set up. Take all the gear needed to the next location pulling up and putting down signs all along the way. Set up next site. Re-set up that site also once judges arrive and realize they gave you the set up paper from the last test they judged. Run your dog first because they want you in the field working. Throw dog back on truck and get in johnboat and stay for 4 hours. Break everything down and load into truck. Drive back to HQ pulling signs as you go. Get everything out of your truck and into equipment trailer. Get to Saturday evening meal just in time for the round of applause for the last ribbon being handed out and watch the caterers pick up the EMPTY buffet trays and chaffing dishes from the meal you missed. Help sort the dead birds. Get handed a list for the Sunday morning set up and a slap on the back. And do it all again the next day…………
    When the heck are you even able to think about training, on test day????????????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin