The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Between series at a HT

Ken, you know chestapeeks don't need no tune ups!
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    If you have a problem during a test chances are it should have been dealt with long before entry of the hunt test. So to answer your question No I wouldnt leave the test to try and fix a problem. Some dogs that are extremely excited when they get to hunt test I like to take out and give them a good run and lots of marked retrieves prior to going to the hunt test just to give them a chance to release some of their nervous energy, I think it helps with some of the younger dogs creeping problems and calms them so that they dont drag you to the holding blinds.
    agreed. I suppose it could depend on the dog, but I personally dont try and correct things in between series for my dog. It seems like anxiety can be a lot higher for my dog on HT days, so I always throw the frisbee around to make things more fun (assuming the weather isnt too hot). This seems to lower the anxiety for him a little bit. With that being said, I always get the judges permission first. **This is what works for me and my dog, but I am not pro by any means, just thought I would share something that works in my situation**
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Leaving the grounds to discuss certain things over lunch can be helpful. IMHO high rollers usually do better with breakfast meetings.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

one thing that seemed to help my Maxx dog was a very brisk 4 or 5 mile run behind my 4 wheeler timed to finish about 10 minutes before going to the line.......LOL. He would sit long enough for the birds to get down just catching his breath........
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com