Wow!

What beautiful country.

Would a Colorado kid fit in there??

Gooser

#3 ·
Wow!

What beautiful country.

Yo Gooser, heck yea, we'll put you under our wing. ;)
Lots of great training grounds and good folks in this area.
3 1/2 hour drive to the dog training Mecca of Thomasville, Ga.
Me , David McLendon and Captain Jack just spent the weekend there in the water.
The Day/Didier farm is 45 minutes from Mableton, we train there almost every weekend.

Come on down for a visit, we can show you around. Make sure you have a weekend day.
Feel free to pm me for any help if you need.

#49 ·
#4 ·
Wow!

What beautiful country.

Yo Gooser, heck yea, we'll put you under our wing. ;)
Lots of great training grounds and good folks in this area.
3 1/2 hour drive to the dog training Mecca of Thomasville, Ga.
Me , David McLendon and Captain Jack just spent the weekend there in the water.
The Day/Didier farm is 45 minutes from Mableton, we train there almost every weekend.

Come on down for a visit, we can show you around. Make sure you have a weekend day.
Feel free to pm me for any help if you need.
Take him up on it Gooser, they are great guys and you will enjoy David's dry sense of humor. It would make quite the training group.

#6 ·
Ridicule? I believe there are some GA boys that might like Gooser just as he is! (North GA boys that is, remember Deliverance?) Run if you hear banjos! :eek::eek::eek:

#8 ·
:D:D

Suburbia or rural?

Traffic as bad as I have heard, or is Mabelton far enough away from Atlanta to get away from it?

Is it a retirement community?

Gooser

#9 ·
There's also this place, Foxhall Resort and Sporting Club, close by. I went there a couple years ago for the Epic Game Fair to see the SRS Event. The whole darn thing was cool and a very nice place. Looked to be pretty high end to be a member...

#10 ·
Mableton is a suburb of Atlanta, there will be very built up areas and pretty rural pockets. Nearby Douglasville is a little more rural, and the more south and west you go, the more rural it becomes.

Traffic depends on where you're trying to go... if you stay OTP and off 400 you should be fine.

#13 ·
If Gooser moves to Mableton, the metro Atlanta area RTF'ers need to throw him a welcoming party. I'm in.

#16 · (Edited)
At first I didn't understand this thread: why was Gooser asking people to tell Gooser something, couldn't Gooser just find out for himself?

Then I got to realizing that Gooser was referring to himself in the 3rd person.

Or was he? :shock:

Is there more than one Gooser? Sort of a Sybil situation going on here, 13 personalities in a single MooseGooser?

This would explain a lot.

Goosers, do you leave notes for each other?

#17 ·
Yes Gooser speaks in the third person, I guess he needs the space.
So what's the deal Gooser, you looking to move or just coming for a visit? The trout fishing doesn't compare to CO but there are a few of us that know how and where to catch the big Browns in the Hooch. Run and Gun flyfishing for Stripers off the front of a bass boat is a serious blast though. Dog training has been cutting in on the fishing lately though.

#18 ·
We are SERIOUSLY looking for a place to slow down a bit and retire....

I am a Colorado native..

I have traveled some, but not a bunch.
I have been told I am spoiled living here, but I am not convinced. The traffis is horrible, compared to what it used to be.

I drive 90 miles 1 way every weekend to just have a place to let a dog run 300 yrds off leash..

Trips to the mountains on the weekends are a total joke...

Its mostly the amount of people here anymore...

WE really want a change..

Goosers!! ( plural)

#19 ·
Well Gooser, I came all the way out here because I had to get away from "all the people". I would have loved to have had a place under a hundred miles to go run my dog. But I drove 150 miles twice a week when I was living in SC just to get away from the gators and the subdivisions. This really suits me better even though I have landed in the most non retriever friendly place on earth. May not be able to train for field trials here, but the hiking, fishing, scenery makes up for a lot. And for my husband, lets just say he will never ski east of the Rockies again! (We probably will go back east to deer hunt though. No limits,(well very generous limits) long season, no lotteries. We'll go back and fill the freezer then come back "home" again!

#20 ·
gooser,
lookup jackson county, alabama. best bass, cat and bluegill fishing in the world, good crappie, passable duck gunning, nice whitetails, all public all the time. mountains, rivers, lakes, good ol' boys, ********, lots of land to train dogs on. nice hrc club, good group of ft wannabees, you name it we got it. low cost of living and access to all the local walnut, red cherry, red and white oak, maple and poplar a woodworker could imagine. 40 minutes to two top 40 us msa's(chattanooga and huntsville)

i have lived in memphis(twice), birmingham, atlanta, dallas, houston and now i get impatient if there are two cars ahead of me at a stop light. i live in scottsboro on roseberry creek(lake guntersville) and in addition to the boat house i can launch a boat at eleven different boat ramps on the lake/river within ten minutes of my driveway. you could live on the lake or on a bluff overlooking the lake, or both in some cases!

not one person here will spell better than you either!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
Gooser, if you don't like long summers and the high humidity and blazing heat you won't like the southeast. A trip through here in august might help you make up your mind . Oh did I mention I hate the heat!

#24 ·
By the way, N GA, N AL, and TN is really where God's country lies. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise... Hunting, fishing, and seeing a wider variety of critters/people than anywhere else in the U.S.

#25 · (Edited)
Two legged critters yes... Wildlife? I would still rank the Pacific NW higher in terms of variety of wildlife. I was born and raised in the south and live in TN now... But hard to beat the NW... WA state has whitetail deer, Blacktail deer, mule deer, Rocky Mountain elk, Roosevelt elk, Moose, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, California Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Pronghorn Antelope, Black Bears, Mountain Lions, all the waterfowl and upland birds you can chase, and sea ducks... I'm sure I missed something... OR, ID, and MT are about the same in terms of variety. Quality varies by state and species.

Oh... I forgot to mention. WA state has three sub species of turkeys. Easterns, Merriams amd Rios.

#30 ·
Mike, I am not so sure Georgia is where you need to be. I have seen your style of dress and it could get you hung I'm Georgia.
You ain't from around here are you regards

#31 ·
I was born here, and I live here, but the constant spread of lets just say the urban wildlife and activity, plus the influx of hurricane flotsam and jetsom post Katrina in our immediate area the quality of life has gone down and the crime has gone way up. Far away from Atlanta is where you would want to go if Georgia is on your mind. If I weren't already here then I sure wouldn't think about moving here, and with the economy and what I own and can't sell, I'm stuck so pass me the lemons and lets make some more lemonade.

#32 ·
So, For those of you that lived your life in your "Home" then decided in later years to make a change and move to someplace new,,,
Did you, or have you regretted that decision?

I keep getting told, I am spoiled here , and that comes from folks that moved here from other places..

Gooser

#33 ·
Tell Gooser about the fleas. And cockroaches. And termites. And mold. These are things I don't miss after having lived in Alabama.

I wasn't into dogs back then, but I had the impression that, in Alabama, a lot of the attractive land for hunting etc. was private property. Is that the case at all for Georgia? I drove across it a gazillion times "commuting" between Pennsylvania and Tuscaloosa and it "felt" the same.

There is not a lot of wildlife here, I miss the SE that way. We see a squirrel in the yard here and rejoice. My husband has fantasies about living in Alabama again.

(I hope I haven't hijacked Goosers' thread, I'm sort of curious too.)

#34 · (Edited)
Gooser the crowd of people out there messing up your Colorado are there because they want to get away from here.

McCall, Idaho would be perfect for me, but I'd have to be single again because my wife would never go for it. Plenty of the things that I like to do, much lower cost of living compared to here so my money would go farther and cold enough to keep the riff raff out.

#35 ·
Gooser the crowd of people out there messing up your Colorado are there because they want to get away from here.

McCall, Idaho would be perfect for me, but I'd have to be single again because my wife would never go for it. Plenty of the things that I like to do, much lower cost of living compared to here so my money would go farther and cold enough to keep the riff raff out.
Now you're talkin'...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.