The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: linning prefrence??

Default linning prefrence??

Talking about a left sided dog, can someone please explain the diff in way to line to dog up to the desired destination?? i personaly line the dog with my left leg forward, but i have seen many people have their right leg forward to push/pull the head of the dog slightly?? can someone explain how they line their dogs and why you do it the way you do. I line mine off of my left leg and "here/heel" untile the tail nose and spine are in line with destination.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

i was taught to keep my leftleg posted and move my right leg to adjust the dog, this way the dog has my left leg to use as a pivot.

the guy made me watch another handler line up his dog and the handler was moving both legs and the dog was all sorts of confused - that is why i use the left leg posted and the right leg for steering
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Don Graves believes in the advantages of training a dog to be a two-sided dog.

The more subtle, smooth and steady you are the better. I start by standing naturally with both legs even, feet about 4-5" apart and the dog's shoulder very close to my leg. If I want to pull him slightly I will tap my thigh, if I need more I might step back a few inches, if I need to push him I will snap my fingers on the outside of his head, if I need a little more I might step up with my outside foot. It is all a very gracefull dance. Actually now that I think about it I do pretty much leave my inside leg posted, step up with my outside slightly to push, step back slightly to pull, though I frequently step back with both to pull.
    Last edited by John Robinson; 02-19-2013 at 12:30 PM.

John,

You have described it very well. It is a "dance". My tip: have someone video tape what you (as the handler) are doing on the line. Watch the training videos of what pro handlers are doing on the line and adjust your "dance".
    Helen

I figure the inside leg moves the dog's spine, the outside leg moves the head and eyes. This is an oversimplification but it's not entirely wrong.
    Last edited by Howard N; 02-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

And just to confuse you, here's how some do it 'over the Pond'! ....IMG_5178.jpgIMG_5054.jpg
    (with our fat hopeless 'British Labs' LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    And just to confuse you, here's how some do it 'over the Pond'! ....IMG_5178.jpgIMG_5054.jpg
    (with our fat hopeless 'British Labs' LOL)

Notice the legs are parallel to the dog , one in front of the other ...This position gives the handler a lot better view of the dogs total body alinement in relation to the line they are looking down ...I'm curious how they move their feet to reposition the dog..? Front for the head and back one for the butt? Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Notice the legs are parallel to the dog , one in front of the other ...This position gives the handler a lot better view of the dogs total body alinement in relation to the line they are looking down ...I'm curious how they move their feet to reposition the dog..? Front for the head and back one for the butt? Steve S
    In this set up, the dog has crept a little further forward than would be desirable, but because she is so 'in tune' with her handler she instinctively takes a very good line.

In UK, very little emphasis is put on what you describe as 'push-pull'. It is virtually unknown here. However, what we do require is that the dog is pretty well glued to our heel and when we turn they turn, so their bodies should always be paralleling and in alignment with our own. So, with this in mind, dog at heel, we turn to face the direction we want to go, so dog is lined up, and then I would step forward with my right leg (leaving left leg still next to dog) and then give the dog the line with my right arm/hand. Our dogs look at our hand and then learn to 'drop down' off the hand to see where we are pointing out in the distance.

Thanks for the explanation ...So you start out with both feet square to the dog and then move the right leg forward...very interesting ...Can I ask the reason behind the movement with the right leg ? It would seem to push or pull the dog off its line ... I know all dogs can adapt to a handlers behaviors though ...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters