The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a lab an old dog

Default When is a lab an old dog

Just looking input. I am loosing my 10 year old and can't buy his way out of it yet he is baby of 4. Just having a hard time with loosing the baby of the 4.
    My mom just reminded me that my childhood lab was gone at 8. I remember that nightmare.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI. (RIP)

My lab Dusty was 13 when we put him down and Bear was 14 and three months when we had to put him down. Bear was very healthy until 4 months before he died. He had LP for the last few years but we managed it. When his time was near he went downhill very fast. Love your baby and enjoy every minute you have with him....I would give anything to have mine back for one more hug.
    RIP Bear.

I love every minute I have with him! Worst part is he knows when I'm going to the ob club vs other stuff and he has to stay home. He is not amused. Had to put up a baby gate yesterday to keep him off the hardwood floors following me .
    Ugh!!!

Sadly, theyre old when their bodies say that they are... As unfair as it is.....
    But Ive seen 8 year olds that are way older than my 13 year olds. They all age differently and when they have signifigant health issues, unfortunately that ages them faster.....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    Love your baby and enjoy every minute you have with him....I would give anything to have mine back for one more hug.
    Yep, here too Cindy.. .All of them...... some hurt more than others but they all hurt us when they go......
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    Sadly, theyre old when their bodies say that they are... As unfair as it is.....
    But Ive seen 8 year olds that are way older than my 13 year olds. They all age differently and when they have signifigant health issues, unfortunately that ages them faster.....
    My almost 14 year old has been taking over his demo dog duties at the ob club for the lower level classes I teach.
    My almost 13 year old has health issues and is in better shape. Bombed hip prelims, low thyroid at 3, LP at 10. Always thought he would go first. I've been prepared for that for a long time.

My parents lost their 16 year old lab this year when he was hit by a car. His hearing was essentially gone, eyesight was poor, and he had been going downhill for a couple years but was still kicking. I had been prepared for him to go for about 3 years but he was so damn resilient. It's just always hard to tell with dogs. This dog was never a working dog, lived his entire life outdoors (had heated/cooled garage though), was overweight, ate Ol' Roy his whole life, and lived to be 16. Meanwhile, I've seen healthy working dogs fed premium dog food pass to natural causes at 9 or 10 years old. You can't ever tell, so just enjoy them while they're here... No matter what age, it's never easy to let go. We got that dog when I was an 8 year old kid. Now I'm all grown up and have a kid of my own. It was a sad day.

I have a plaque on my wall that reads:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    I have a plaque on my wall that reads:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."
    That's awesome, I am going to borrow that!!!!
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

20151107_170432.jpg
    My 13 yo! Love him to bits!! My best friend!!Blackie.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Hashtag Mickey

"Donít cry because itís over. Smile because it happened."
    Dr. Seuss