The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test observer etiquette

Heck yeah, bring em out. Like someone else said, by then he'll be 4 months old +....my pups have gone everywhere all the time within reason of safety and other common sense issues. for that matter i just let my last little black pup pick up the ducks and get her first ribbons at right at 4 months (not recommending that necessarily) but just saying lots of us take them. She had a blast and at that age all she cared about was going to pick up birds every day so brought her to started. The judges and gallery loved watching the tiny thing out there outdoing the big dogs. lol

only thing is 13 weeks only equals 3 months and 1 week
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    i think some of us are thinking its 13 weeks old now and the hunt test is in another month.

point taken
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    Heck yeah, bring em out. Like someone else said, by then he'll be 4 months old +....my pups have gone everywhere all the time within reason of safety and other common sense issues. for that matter i just let my last little black pup pick up the ducks and get her first ribbons at right at 4 months (not recommending that necessarily) but just saying lots of us take them. She had a blast and at that age all she cared about was going to pick up birds every day so brought her to started. The judges and gallery loved watching the tiny thing out there outdoing the big dogs. lol

Great pics Blaine. I especially like the last one

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Great pics Blaine. I especially like the last one
    its fun when all THEY care about is having fun and getting birds and loving on you.

Correct. He will be 13 weeks when the test date arrives. I'm not trying to push him into anything before he's ready. Just didn't want to be "that guy" when I go watch my first hunt test.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    By the way Blaine - that's awesome! I can't wait until the water warms up a bit and I can see how mine takes to it.
    Last edited by jde512; 02-11-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added info

Puppy Stake, this stake is designed for people with pups-dogs, not ready for started level, to give them exposure to birds, and the testing environment, basically they throw simple marks for puppies to go out and maybe retrieve. You've got a bunch of energetic happy people in the field to help the pup if needed, and a bunch of energetic spectators to help cheer the pup back. Even a bunch of energetic people to catch a pup, should he decide to take the bird and run. Puppy stake is very fun to watch and run, gets everyone involved in the sport. The $5-$10 buck covers the cost of the ribbon, should you be able to get your pup and the birds back .

I have a couple of pups about the same age that I'll probably put in our next puppy stake, although I'm pretty sure take the bird and run will be the order of the day, but we're going to see how they react to the me running back to the truck maneuver, that failing we're going to place bets on how long it'll take to catch each pup . Either way I'm sure it'll give the crowd entertainment and get the pups some exposure, which is basically what it's all about at this stage .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 02-11-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

What Chris said is great advice.I take mine all the time.He's 12 weeks and was at our upland test all weekend..Being with the other dogs and all the birds i think its great exposure.Take it slow and constantly read Your pup.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Your pup will be 4+ months old. If he is up on his shots, Id have no qualms about taking him and exposing him to all the interesting sights and sounds.
    When he is out of the truck, make sure you keep him on lead as you take him exploring. If he seems overwhelmed {I doubt it} take him back to the truck for a nap or some loving

Enjoy!!
    +1 Totally agree, keep some distance from the gun until you see how the dog is reacting to the new noise. Heck if memory serves me Justin Tackett has a dog named "Yella" that was the star of Waterdog TV from Ducks Unlimited and that dog was only like 14 weeks old when it passed its first Started HRC Hunt Test.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE