RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Socializing Puppy? Shots?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  A team 
#1 ·
Everything I read or hear on here or my DvDs is as a Pup you want to socialize socialize socialize!! But then on the other hand they say don't take your pup anywhere till she has all her shots! So my question is how do I take her for walks in fields and out in public to socialize her if she doesn't have all her shots? She is 11 weeks old and has had 3 parvo shots already!

Thanks
beau

#2 ·
heck take her out for walks in new places and let her socialize with friends dogs that you know are vaccinated

#7 ·
Beau, talk to your vet. I live 30 miles from you. The San Joaquin Valley is very bad for parvo. I didn't even let my pup in the front yard until I knew he would be OK.
From Wiki: The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year. It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures.

#9 ·
Can't live in a bubble. It's a balance between living and risk. You can't raise a puppy in a bubble, nor could we do the same to ourselves. You can bring parvo in the house on your shoes, so not taking them outside is not going to keep them 100% safe. They can even pick it up at the vet office. Take her out, just be smart to reduce the risks. You could trip on the way to your mailbox, break your neck, and die, but that doesn't stop you does it? Also, what are the chances? The same for taking your pup out in your yard, friends houses that have vaccinated pets, etc.

Being overly cautious/protective can also be harmful too.

Eric

#10 ·
Thanks Eric but I think if you knew me you wouldn't say it like that!! I raise and train bucking bulls for a living, not really the "bubble type".. When you spend a ton of money on a dog you want to give it the best chance starting out ( its only 16 weeks for the shots) our area has a REALLY bad parvo problem. I've already taking her out in a pond and in fields, but I just don't want to sit in a vet for something I could of permitted. Just wanted other people's thoughts is all and like I said thanks that's obviously your opinion and I respect it but don't think I live In a bubble and never will!

Beau

#11 · (Edited)
I raise and train bucking bulls for a living.

Beau
That is awesome! Be careful, my maternal grandfather was killed by a bull when I was 15. The truth is he was an alcoholic and died from Cirrhosis of the liver. He drank Schlitz (cheap beer) so instead of telling folks he was a drunk, I just tell them he was killed by a bull, the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull!

Lonnie Spann

#15 ·
Here in Southern California with the parvo virus being so common I play it safe and keep my pups pretty much isolated.

I hear both sides from the training group on a regular basis, everything from you're doing the right thing to "you can bring the parvo virus home on your shoes or on the other dogs".

I do pay the price as far as socializing the pup goes, my newest pup was stand offish when I first took her out. As soon as I am able I put the pup on the social fast track, she goes everywhere and she is introduced to everyone that wants to meet her.

I'd rather play it safe than to be sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.