The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MH Blind- poor initial line

Default MH Blind- poor initial line

Curious, master judges, if youre judging a master dog, and it takes a poor initial line, but goes a short distance and handler corrects the line, putting dog back on course, and continues running the blind . How big a penalty do you give for the P.I.L ? And, at what point would you need to see that handler correct the dogs' line ?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Judges usually have some obvious bush, log, rock or other feature that you need to be right or left of. I have upon occasion had my dog launch way off line, it has been my experience that if I stop my dog the second I recognize the bad line (maybe 5-15 yards), and am able to cast him back on line without too much of a fight, we get called back. I see a lot of titled dogs under your signature so I suspect you know this allready.

John

The line to the blind is the line to the blind. You and your dog are a team ,therefore work as a team and let me judge the performance. Most likely you will be fine if you work at keeping them on line as best you can.
    Ed Wojciechowski

HRCH UH "Duffy" MH, HRC 500 points Lab
    HRCH "Kodi" SH, WCX- Std Poodle
    HRCH " Taz" MH, MNH, RN Lab
    HRCH "Heather" SH Lab
    "Gunner" JH, SH, MH Lab
    SHR "Pearl" JH Std Poodle
    SHR "Chief " JH,WCX,RN Std. Poodle
    "Gina " Standard Poodle JH
    " Dash" JH,SH Lab

This is not a field trial, but a hunt test.

In my opinion, the PIL does not really matter as much, as what happens after that. If the handler put the dog back on line with one cast, no harm no foul (good team work). If the dog and handler fight after multiple whistles / casts (bad team work), then it is a different issue.

Of course, it is all in what one envisions when they read the scenario on the internet.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zman1001 View Post
    This is not a field trial, but a hunt test.

In my opinion, the PIL does not really matter as much, as what happens after that. If the handler put the dog back on line with one cast, no harm no foul (good team work). If the dog and handler fight after multiple whistles / casts (bad team work), then it is a different issue.

Of course, it is all in what one envisions when they read the scenario on the internet.....lol
    Agree. I will note it, but it's what happens after that.
    Tom Dorroh

If your dog has a poor initial line and you stop him quickly you might get dinged a little for perseverance but if you stop him and get him back on line quickly and cleanly you should have no problem attaining a passing score. A further note if your dog has a clean crisp stop and takes a good cast to the blind you might make up the ding on credit for trainability.

Interesting question, enters a HT grey area. I've had a high dog, false-start on a blind and get only ~ 3-5ft from me off the line before I stop and cast them, but I've seen people bring the dog back on something like that as well and resend. I believe it's safer to stop and cast, but I've had judges ask me why I didn't just re-heeled. Still I've also seen people, under different judges failed for re-heeling after a false-start on a blind.

So the rule I live by is when and if the dog goes, as soon as I notice the dog is off-line, even @ 3-5ft, stop and cast, sure this might completely destroy your momentum, but it's safer than bringing them back or letting them gain speed while off-line and casting. Judges might accuse you of cheating the blind if you do something like that, a blind is all about control, In a HT your much better off attempting to get them back on-line as soon as you can than letting them run off of it .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

A quick handle before the dog is way out there is preferable to letting the dog run and giving overs and big angles to get back.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Interesting question, enters a HT grey area. I've had a high dog, false-start on a blind and get only ~ 3-5ft from me off the line before I stop and cast them, but I've seen people bring the dog back on something like that as well and resend. I believe it's safer to stop and cast, but I've had judges ask me why I didn't just re-heeled. Still I've also seen people, under different judges failed for re-heeling after a false-start on a blind.

So the rule I live by is when and if the dog goes, as soon as I notice the dog is off-line, even @ 3-5ft, stop and cast, sure this might completely destroy your momentum, but it's safer than bringing them back or letting them gain speed while off-line and casting. Judges might accuse you of cheating the blind if you do something like that, a blind is all about control, In a HT your much better off attempting to get them back on-line as soon as you can than letting them run off of it .
    In AKC I wouldn't try reheeling. You would be reheeling to the truck.
    Bert Rodgers

challenge the blind. whistle and cast refusals stop you from challenging the blind .Putting the dog back on line means you are challenging the blind , therefore in good shape .
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com