The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Marvin : I consider myself WELL qualified to discuss finer bourbons because one of the venues I had the opportunity to be employed by had over 50 bourbons on the back shelf, and I had tried over half of them, along with going to numerous product roll outs and also in dispensing them to many for "medicinal" and recreational purposes

Here are my Top 5

1. Basil Hayden

2. Pappy Van Winkle 25 yr

3. Woodforde Reserve

4. Wild Turkey 101

5. Blanton's or Booker's

I also personally enjoy Jack Daniels Single Barrel(94 proof), but technically its a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey and not a Bourbon
    Bon,

#5 caught my attention so I had to check in the liquor cabinet. Me, I'm a redwine and beer guy, but I recognized the Blanton name. Seems my brother and I won a stakes at the Fair Grounds in New Orleons years ago and one of the trophies so to speak was a bottle of bourbon.

Here is what I found in the cabinet unopened. The label readsThis Bourbon whiskey dumped on 10-10-96 from Barrel No 142 stored in warehous H on Rick No 52 Individually selected, filtered and bottled by hand at 93 proof.

The date, barrel no, warehouse. rick no, and proof are hand written. I've never opened it waiting for the perfect occasion I guess. It was a great day, thanks for bringing back the memory.

Tim
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Gentleman Jack, for those finer moments!!!!
    that stuff with a small bottle of 7-up will run you 18 bucks at Maestros Steak House at the Aria Hotel...ask me how I know...great stuff...

I think a bottle of that WILL be on the supply list for our elk hunting adventure...even if I have to empty out a large plastic mouthwash bottle to make room in the duffle bag
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Bon,

#5 caught my attention so I had to check in the liquor cabinet. Me, I'm a redwine and beer guy, but I recognized the Blanton name. Seems my brother and I won a stakes at the Fair Grounds in New Orleons years ago and one of the trophies so to speak was a bottle of bourbon.

Here is what I found in the cabinet unopened. The label readsThis Bourbon whiskey dumped on 10-10-96 from Barrel No 142 stored in warehous H on Rick No 52 Individually selected, filtered and bottled by hand at 93 proof.

The date, barrel no, warehouse. rick no, and proof are hand written. I've never opened it waiting for the perfect occasion I guess. It was a great day, thanks for bringing back the memory.

Tim
    That Blantons will warm you up to the inner core....about 3 ice cubes should do it
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

A Makers Mark story. One of my old hunting buddies that I have lost contact with had a wealthy relative that is now long gone. When he was younger he said that he was invited to go on a hunt with the relative each year. Each morning before the hunt at the lodge the shot glasses came out a shot of MM was poured and they all sang God Bless America and downed the shot then proceeded to the blinds.

Me personally I think they did it for the hair of the dog hangover cure.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Pappy Van Winkle.

When I was first discharged I worked for a few months before starting college in NM, at a distillery in Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Gentleman

The old brick warehouses where the barrels aged had been designated historic landmarks and our job was to move six barrels at a time onto a a truck and take them to a new facility down the road. Some of the guys had worked there all their lives and carried a small wooden mallet and a piece of tubing hidden in their bib overalls. Periodically through the day a bung would get loosened by the mallet and the tubing would be inserted. One old guy said, "here kid, try some". Thus began my love of sour mash aged in charred new American oak.
    In addition to the 80 proof Virginia Gentleman, they also bottled in bond a 100 proof called Fairfax County.

I only ever found it at the Washington DC stores. I don't believe it was ever sold at the Virginia State operated liquor stores.
    Last edited by JDogger; 02-11-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: punctuation
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon announced that it will reduce its alcohol content by 3%..it is using the excuse that it will stretch out the current supply...sounds like they are watering down the bottle...going from 90 proof (45% alc) down to 86 proof

from a revenue standpoint their is a higher tax on the higher proof alcohol

NOT my bourbon of choice but I hope it doesnt start a trend
    Agree with that, since MM is part of Beam Inc.
    Tom Dorroh

bon,
    i kinda like the #1 on your list when the big ducks are flying. basil hayden on the shootin' rail!!!!!!!!!

IMG950563[1].jpg
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Distilling is corporate, big time - though a few of the little guys try - just read an article in the New Yorker about a distillery on an island in Scotland that was old, restarted & then sold out by the majority of investors - interesting read about the history of the distillery, the fact the island has it's own unique water & peat which enhances the taste.

As a bourbon drinker for medicinal purposes, I would be intersted in hearing from someone who is a knowledgable connoisseur in what you would consider good bourbons.

Had also read another article about the 1% shrinkage per year as it ages.
    Don't know about the alcohol shrinkage as it gets older but it seems to be true about other things!

Stealth inflation. I also read that Subway's footlong sandwiches are now measuring in at 11 to 11.5 inches!

We can thank the Bernank!