The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning back to HRC

The "Grand Standard" is an elusive little creature that is difficult to nail down as it changes depending on the judge. The best advice I could give was that given to me at a grand several years ago. If you have to say heel more than once from the blind to the line then you're not ready...If you have to say sit more than once one the line than you're not ready...

The judges are looking for "the best of the best" so taking that into context the "best" shouldn't need to be told more than once to do something. Do I feel it goes a little too far??? Sure. But like a blind, the number of whistles is irrelevant if the dog worked well with the handler. They really wanna see a "team" between you and the dog.

That said, line manners aren't the only thing to work on. Judges want to see better than good initial lines on blinds, crisp whistle sits, and prompt, accurate responses to casts given. While cast refusals are subjective, you don't want to leave it to the judges for interpretation. They also want to see good, clean marks and tighter than normal hunt areas. A big hunt will leave you with a pair of ones just as fast as a handle on a mark or loose blind will...big hunt is subjective here as what is normally acceptable in a weekend test WILL NOT fly at the Grand. Big hunts get more people in trouble than OB, IMO.

The weeks leading up to the Grand for me are riddled with lining drills, tune up drills, push-pull drills, cheating singles, and high confidence singles. NO LINE MOVEMENT is tolerated whatsoever, and standards across the board are elevated. Now, some would say "shouldn't you be upholding that standard all the time?" Sure, but undoubtedly our standards become lax during periods of complacency running and passing weekend tests and there is a great need by the handler to recognize what the standard should be and strive to uphold that in the months leading up to the Grand. The average pass rate at the Grand hovers somewhere around 20% and only about 10% of all dogs that have ever gone on to earn their HRCH titles have ever achieved their GRHRCH titles as well...the Grand Standard is what makes this so difficult. Up your standards....
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    So GRHRCH dogs are pigs?? Hmmm, news to me...
    Did you ever think that your problem isn't the "Grand Standard" of obedience but maybe the fact that the ob standard at weekend HT's is not strict enough?? Yes, I have considered this and after consideration I have decided that since the HRC Rule Book has the exact same standard for a dog coming to the line in a Finished test as a dog coming to the line in the Grand, THEN THE JUDGING SHOULD BE THE EXACT SAME IN BOTH TESTS. I've seen a lot of crap at the Grand that I do not agree with, AND I agree a steady, perfectly healing dog does not a "Grand Champion" make...BUT, I wouldn't go to an AKC test and pat my leg cause my dog didn't turn with me cause i wasn't sitting on a bucket shuckin shells and then bitch about being dropped.
    Its better to be pissed off than pissed on regards...
    As far as being pissed off and being pissed on...well I am pissed off and I say PISS ON THE HRC GRAND HUNT COMMITTEE AND THE GRAND JUDGES WHO OBVIOUSLY HAVE NEVER TRAINED THEIR OWN GRHRCH BUT FEEL THE NEED TO DROP MY DOG WITHOUT EVER LETTING HIM SEE A MARK!

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. I will go and start my own.

Regards,
    Lonnie Spann

Lonnie, where does it say that?? Just curious cause I thought it specifically stated the the Grand was judged to its own standard??
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOverby View Post
    Lonnie, where does it say that?? Just curious cause I thought it specifically stated the the Grand was judged to its own standard??
    Joe, I don't have the Rule Book in front of me but I am almost certain that before running the Grand I read it thoroughly and the best I remember it is verbatim. I will look in the Rule Book and get back with you.

Lonnie Spann

From the 2011 Rule Book, available online:

From the 2011 Rule Book:
    Guidelines-Judging Grand Hunt Tests
    IV.
    The Judge should look for the dog that walks obediently
    to the line, sits obediently and exhibits an attentive
    attitude.

Guidelines-Judging Finished Hunt Tests

IV. The Judge should look for the dog that walks

obediently to the line, sits obediently, and exhibits an

attentive attitude.

Lonnie Spann

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    As far as being pissed off and being pissed on...well I am pissed off and I say PISS ON THE HRC GRAND HUNT COMMITTEE AND THE GRAND JUDGES WHO OBVIOUSLY HAVE NEVER TRAINED THEIR OWN GRHRCH BUT FEEL THE NEED TO DROP MY DOG WITHOUT EVER LETTING HIM SEE A MARK!

To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. I will go and start my own.

Regards,
    Lonnie Spann
    What does a judge never having trained their own GRHRCH have to do with your dog getting the hook for not having good heel work? OB is the easiest thing to work on, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

Either never run the event again or get over it and up your standards.

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    What does a judge never having trained their own GRHRCH have to do with your dog getting the hook for not having good heel work? OB is the easiest thing to work on, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

KNorman, my dog's heel work has never been an issue before, why sould it be at the Grand? As far as the Judges training their own GRHRCH...I have never trained a FC, but I would be glad to judge your dog in a field trial if you want me to, doesn't make sense does it?

Lonnie Spann

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    KNorman, my dog's heel work has never been an issue before, why sould it be at the Grand? As far as the Judges training their own GRHRCH...I have never trained a FC, but I would be glad to judge your dog in a field trial if you want me to, doesn't make sense does it?

Lonnie Spann
    Because it's the Grand. The weekend standard doesn't apply.

And for the record...I've gotten the shaft at the Grand too. I don't run HRC anymore because I prefer FT's, but I still judge HRC tests when I can.

You're welcome to judge me anytime. I don't care if you haven't made a FC as long as you're impartial and follow the rules.

Peace
    Last edited by KNorman; 02-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    What does a judge never having trained their own GRHRCH have to do with your dog getting the hook for not having good heel work? I have NEVER trained a FC, a QAA, or a MH, but I will be glad to judge your dog while competing at any of those levels...do you think I am qualified to do so? OB is the easiest thing to work on, so you have no one to blame but yourself. Never been dropped for heel work at any HT except the Grand, that is what I didn't understand.

I'm over it, I quit twitching and breaking out with hives about a month ago

Lonnie Spann

I love this guy.