The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning back to HRC

So GRHRCH dogs are pigs?? Hmmm, news to me...
    Did you ever think that your problem isn't the "Grand Standard" of obedience but maybe the fact that the ob standard at weekend HT's is not strict enough?? I've seen a lot of crap at the Grand that I do not agree with, AND I agree a steady, perfectly healing dog does not a "Grand Champion" make...BUT, I wouldn't go to an AKC test and pat my leg cause my dog didn't turn with me cause i wasn't sitting on a bucket shuckin shells and then bitch about being dropped.
    Its better to be pissed off than pissed on regards...
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Keep in mind that what you take away depending on how you go about it might likely be gone forever, I'd take an all age dog anyday. Go Lonnie Spann
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Takes a good trainer to run that event and consistently pass fired up dogs. When my dog runs hell be with one if those guys, lol.

Lonnie is not really that pissed off at HRC...he is running an event this weekend. The Grand Committee is another story...

Glad to have you back in the game. Make sure to enter the North Alabama events.
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

OK sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone have any advice or input on the question I actually asked?

Haven't ran a grand yet, but have gotten a lot of advice from those that have. Seems like you can get a pretty good idea of what you need to tightening for the grand by running the HRC tests, and attempting to enforce the stronger standard. Also remember your training, gun safety will fail you just as quick as dog line manners. Practice, proper gun mount, and safety doesn't go off until bird is in the air. Got to work on keeping the dog at heel, base of dogs tail doesn't pass in front of your knee. Single verbal commands of heel, sit, etc. I'd probably be working with a bunch of short in your face multiple, live flyers, figuring that if I could keep control, with live flyers, dead birds would be easier. Also Practice for the Upland portion, a lot of dogs will fail out with the excitement of the upland portion of the grand, it's probably the hardest series to maintain control on. Seems most of the amateur handlers I've talked to go out most frequently on simple handler mistakes, not sure how you deal with that, hard to learn while doing when you've only got one or two bullets, to play with.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    OK sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone have any advice or input on the question I actually asked?
    That is one of the funniest statements I've read on here in quite a while. Only thing I can tell you is your avatar puppy is to young to run the Grand. That is seriously funny hijacker.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    That is one of the funniest statements I've read on here in quite a while. Only thing I can tell you is your avatar puppy is to young to run the Grand. That is seriously funny hijacker.
    That's the problem with the RTF. All these guys hijacking their own threads.

At least he apologized for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RF2 View Post
    Lonnie is not really that pissed off at HRC...he is running an event this weekend. The Grand Committee is another story...

Glad to have you back in the game. Make sure to enter the North Alabama events.
    Allen I will certainly be at the North Alabama events, gotta finish the 500 points on Jack so HRC will give me that "free" jacket.

I will also be running the AKC Master at the Black Warrior event, maybe Joe Overby will be there and watch my dog turn with me without me shucking a shotgun

Regards,
    Lonnie Spann

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Allen I will certainly be at the North Alabama events, gotta finish the 500 points on Jack so HRC will give me that "free" jacket.

I will also be running the AKC Master at the Black Warrior event, maybe Joe Overby will be there and watch my dog turn with me without me shucking a shotgun

Regards,
    Lonnie Spann
    The "free jackets" had the zipper on the wrong side when I got mine several years ago. Never wore it. Go buy a Mcallister or Filson. You will be $ ahead.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.