The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Retriever Vests

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Retriever Vests

Gimmick or actually serve a purpose?

I know you have seen them, Avery makes one, Bass Pro has their Red Head version of it. The dog protection vests. They run about 19.95 to 35.95, depending on brand and where you purchase it from. That being said, do they actually serve a purpose. And if they, after you get the measurements and all of that, and you buy the item, should it be lose fitting or tight. How tight?

Just thought I would throw that out there. I am thinking about purchasing some items from Bass Pro, and this item maybe on the list, but I am not sure if it is really worth the money.

Thanks

Default Vest

If you hunt in really cold weather it does help.When I guided duck hunts in the timber in Ark I was out in the cold for 8 hrs at a a time. I found that the dogs could handle the cold for longer. Now if you have a fat dog it probably doesn't matter. The dogs of today are thinner and it helps.

Rarin, I think he was talking about those nylon protection vests not a neoprene vest for a waterfowler's retriever.

BTW I 2nd the use of a neoprene vest in cold weather. The dog lasts longer and is warmer.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

I was actually referring to the waterfowl retriever neoprene vests. I just used the wrong terminology.

I have a thin lab, but down here it doesn't get too terribly cold during duck season. Heck I didn't have to break any ice to set decoys out this season. I just would hate to spend money on a gimmick item.

Doc & Nash

I have used one for over two years. In my experience, the Hodgman vest is the best. It is 5mm of neo with the "Armor Flex" coating on the chest

see dog in avatar?<- they are great here in Northern Vermont. And after untangling decoy lines, you call the dog over and thrust your hands into the front leg holes and give the dog some love. Best hand warmer you can find unless you hunt with a wife!
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Best hand warmer you can find unless you hunt with a wife
    I've got a feeling that the dog would enjoy your cold hands a lot more than a wife would. 8)
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013