The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Outing a Trainer

Default Outing a Trainer

After reading another thread on here it made me think what it would take for most people to out a bad trainer. I am in no way bashing pro's the majority of them are good people who love dogs and training them but there are a few that are incompetent or just do it for the money and don't really care about the dogs. There are some people that drop their dogs off at the trainer and they don't see the dogs very much over the next 6 months to a year and are clueless as to what's going on with their dog. So if the trainer was good to the dogs but was really screwing them up with his training would you tell other people or just let them eventually figure it out on their own. On the other hand would you tell other people if the trainer was getting descent results with his dogs but you saw first hand that he was a very brutal abusive trainer but did most of this in privacy and not many people knew about it. If you have any story's to tell please don't name names and try to keep it civil I just put this on here because I was wondering how others would handle this.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

If I were not a pro myself, and just a regular doggie person, yes I would share... Being a pro myself, it does make me cringe when I hear of what this trainer or that trainer did- and often its not a surprise to me- but I have to keep my toungue in my mouth and not say anything.......
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I think at the end of the day it comes down to informing yourself and honesty. Why not ask the trainer if he intends to use force and to what degree? Does he ever feel the need to beat a dog and what predicates it? I would think that the people who drop their dog off without any questions or clear expectations are the ones that will be setting up both the trainer and owner for problems. Now, if the trainer decides to lie to you about how he trains, then let him have it for that but please make sure it is not merely a misunderstanding with training techniques before you discredit someone to the public.

Little Johnny was sitting on a park bench eating a bag of candy.
    A lady walked by, and stopped to say "You know, that candy is going to rot your teeth, and make you fat."

Little Johnny replied, "My Grandmother lived to be one hundred and ten."

The lady responded with "Did she spend all day eating candy?"

And little Johnny replied, "No. She minded her own damn business!"

The abusive and bad trainers, will out themselves.
    It will show in their dogs.

"The abusive and bad trainers, will out themselves. It will show in their dogs."

.....sooo your suggestion being to let others find out the hard way and the dogs continue to suffer? Sorry, but if you know of a trainer who is abusive, i would think you would consider it a moral obligation to warn others.

Consumers read and write reviews on auto mechanics, doctors, etc. Why wouldn't we share our experiences with others regarding trainers? It's business for many, right? Or do we only care about "our" dogs? I would want to know everything I can before sending my pup away for one day, let alone months. Once I am informed, I have no excuse for the outcome.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    "The abusive and bad trainers, will out themselves. It will show in their dogs."

.....sooo your suggestion being to let others find out the hard way and the dogs continue to suffer? Sorry, but if you know of a trainer who is abusive, i would think you would consider it a moral obligation to warn others.
    Your morals are just that. Your morals.
    I know some people that think crating a dog, is the epitome of cruelty to animals.

I'm not saying that the end justifies the means.
    But, the dogs will tattle if they are being abused.

You could always state only what you have seen and let the owner decide what is abusive.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Scott

Good question, but I bet you know the answer. We have all seen it, a trainer in the area that is the greatest thing to ever come along and eveybody wants their dogs with them. Six months or a year later the first bunch of clients have moved on but would never open their mouths about the lack of abilities or poor conditions.
    We had one not too long ago that had a great good old boy personality, in fact a good frined of mine who is no longer with us, that everybody loved. While he talked a good game and people loved him he was a poor trainer, worse breeder, and had horriable kennel conditions. I know of four people with dogs completely screwed up by him yet none of them would admit they had made a mistake in sending their dogs to him or buying a dog from him. Another female trainer on our circut was on everybodies want list for a trainer even though her only claim to fame came from a dog she only handled and did not train. She had a huge female following, but couldnt train a bird to crap in a cage. Same thing, not a single person would tell anyone how bad she was. She too is out of that part of the dog world.

let me know when you are training some time.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You could always state only what you have seen and let the owner decide what is abusive.
    I agree. As long as it's what YOU, have actually seen.

There's a reason that secondhand accounts are called hearsay, and are inadmissible in a Court of Law.