The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Outing a Trainer

Remember the recent poster who said a Hall of Fame trainer was abusive by watching his training dvd ?
    I remember a neighbor watching me train with a heeling stick (and I didn't even use it) saying "Oh, I can't bear to watch".
    I think talking to previous trained dog owners is a good way to select a trainer. Recently all my dogs have come from referrals.

However, due to my slow recovery from back surgery I don't have any client dogs now and I am not seeking any until next year. I am however focusing on Rowdy.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 02-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Like most true professions in life ,You are only as good as your last piece of work.
    If it is a business,then repeat of that good piece of work will sustain that business.
    No Professional dog trainer will remain in that business with successive poor standards of work. They can be seriously affected by singular or one off reports that may or may not be 100% accurate?.
    In the business of Dog Training,I have always believed the 'Dog'.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I always believe a dog.

People, aren't nearly as honest.

"I have always believed the dog". I sent my dog to a new trainer this past summer and had ome feelings of trepidation but she cam back an even better dpg and every time she see him she is all over him like white on rice. That answered any questions or misgivings I might have had.

Sorry for the type o didn't proof read.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You could always state only what you have seen and let the owner decide what is abusive.
    I was in no means implying that anyone should just repeat idle gossip but if you have witnessed it yourself and have had several people that you trust tell you the same thing but they were afraid to say anything would you go out on a limb to say something to help other dog from being abused?
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

I know one trainer in UK whom I consider to be abusive and over harsh; he's also been banned from numerous local pubs for aggressive behaviour and drunkenness. This year he won a major Championship, for I think the second time. No doubt people will still beat a path to his door.

One thing not often remarked upon is the ability of brutal trainers who know their stuff to win Field Trials and produce FTCh's. If they can do that they stay in business and thrive.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

As a professional trainer, I hesitate to post on this thread, but what the heck. Years ago when I was just getting started, I used a pro for a short period of time. I didn't do my homework and had a bad experience. He talked a good game and even had some videos out, so I thought he was the genuine article. A short time later, I realized what he was and brought my dog home. Since then, I've seen him at tests and even judged him a couple of times and it's embarrassing to think that I sent a dog to that guy. But if I had really done my homework, that never would have happened. My point is that the client has the responsibility to perform due diligence before turning his dog over to a pro.
    As a professional trainer myself, I would never tell a potential client anything negative about this guy (or any other pro), but if they asked me about using him, I would probably suggest some other pro in the same part of the country and let them decide for themselves. I would also give them some ideas about how to properly vet a pro before sending them a dog.
    On a separate note, the issue of abusive training can be very complex because different people have different ideas of abuse. Newbies especially have a difficult time understanding some of the methods that we use. I take the approach that a client is ALWAYS welcome to watch me train my whole truck of dogs. If they have questions about my methods, I will do my best to explain them. I also try to train as if the client is always looking over my shoulder. If I wouldn't do it in front of the client, I wouldn't do it when the client isn't there.
    But if a novice sees a pro FF a dog and the dog vocalizes, or if he sees a pro use a collar or a stick in a perfectly acceptable manner, he may construe it as abuse and tell others that a trainer is abusive or heavy-handed. That's not necessarily a good thing.
    I agree that the bad pros will out themselves. The problem is that there are new folks entering the sport every day, so a slick talker can always keep a few dogs in the pens.
    Now before the pro trainer police try to out me, I'm on RTF during the middle of the day because Monday is my day off. No clients are getting screwed while I fool around on the internet. And yes, pro trainers do get days off from time to time.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    ...Now before the pro trainer police try to out me, I'm on RTF during the middle of the day because Monday is my day off. No clients are getting screwed while I fool around on the internet......
    Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,!!!!!!!!!

That was great!

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I always believe a dog.

People, aren't nearly as honest.
    --Exactly.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013