The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pope!!??!!??

Default The Pope!!??!!??

What's up with that?
    Are there some good Catholic boys & girls that can explain the politics of this?
    Stan b & Elvis

I am thinking he got tired of certain priests doing the wrong things with little boys and than trying to make it go away after the fact. You can't cover it up for ever. He has dealt with this since he was a cardinal and I think it burned him out. First Pope to resign or advocate (might be the wrong word) since the 15 century.

My opinion

Richard

Are you actually serious with this response??

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Are you actually serious with this response??
    I was actually hoping for a real discussion about the politics of the Vatican & the back story on this.
    I am considereing deleting this thread.
    Stan b & Elvis

Here's my take on this (which, along with $.50 will get you a bad cup of coffee).

There are a lot of issues facing the Catholic church right now, and we have seen before where a Pope is near the end of his time, is old and tired, and the Church becomes like a ship with no one at the helm. I think the Pope realized he doesn't have the drive to steer the ship anymore, and no direction is as bad as the wrong direction. Rather than let things languish, it would be in the best interest of the Church to step down. I think it's a bold move, given that it hasn't happened in 600 years.

Of course, there's always the backstory of "who's idea was this?" and is it his choice of a squeeze play. Politics is politics, even in the Church. I don't know that we'll ever know the answer to that one.

(on an unrelated note, when I heard this morning that any male on earth over 18 years of age is eligible to be Pope, the sarcatic part of me was wondering how long it will take the political cartoonists to pick up on the fact that maybe there's one more election that Obama would think he could win..)
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

RK, my post was not directed at you and I think it's a good topic for discussion; however, as a Catholic I take offense when people speak out of their ass regarding the Catholic Church! The Church has deep issues like many institutions but to think that the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI stepped down over the unthinkable actions of certain Priests is absolutely ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    RK, my post was not directed at you and I think it's a good topic for discussion; however, as a Catholic I take offense when people speak out of their ass regarding the Catholic Church! The Church has deep issues like many institutions but to think that the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI stepped down over the unthinkable actions of certain Priests is absolutely ludicrous.
    I understand, I am with you.
    Little happens at the Vatican that is not related to politics and money.
    I beleive there is more to this story.
    There are BIG issues in America and that is where a lot of the church's money comes from.

I think they need someone with some serious spine!!!!!

There may well be a fight brewing between the church and someone who wants to stick his nose in the church's business.

But who knows..............
    Last edited by road kill; 02-11-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I understand, I am with you.
    Little happens at the Vatican that is not related to politics and money.
    I beleive there is more to this story.
    There are BIG issues in Anerica and that is where a lot of the church's money comes from.

I think they need someone with some serious spine!!!!!

There may well be a fight brewing between the church and someone who wants to stick his nose in the church's business.

But who knows..............
    The real problem is in Europe where some countries the church attendance is down to just 5% of the Catholic population. France is 95 % Catholic with only 10-15% attending church. In Ireland it is also down to 10-15%. In the US 25 % of Catholics attend church regularly. These counties have the traditional base of the church.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Maybe he is the first pope that served the church instead of himself since the 15 century. It takes alot of integreity to step down willingly from a top position any where, if you think someone can do a better job.

His health is most likely failing. If any of you watched the Christmas Eve Mass at the Vatican, he had difficulty staying alert and awake and was laboring while readng.