The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Pregnancy ?

Default Dog Pregnancy ?

Anyone see dog not showing at day 49 ? Nipples look more pronounced ( maybe) and abdomen may be a little tighter. Surgical AI with fresh, vet said count was satisfactory. Old but proven stud and maiden 6.5 yr old bitch, vet said uterus looked good. X-ray scheduled next week. Guess I want someone to "honestly" say they have seen dog still hide pregnancy this late. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Labs Will-Do; 02-14-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Maybe be only one or two pups? I had a singleton litter and the bitch didn't look pregnant at all.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home

Normally when I don't think they are pregnant at 6 weeks they are not. 6 weeks is my magic number. You would have a "bloom" on the aureole (that softness around the nipple ) of the nipple by 6 weeks , not just the nipple it self , ...pretty sure you are out of luck , but IT might be a singleton.... good luck
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Did you progesterone test?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Did progesterone testing (5 test total) which resulted in a reading of three on Christmas eve and a eight (if I remember correctly) on the day after Christmas (tues) - AI on thurs. Seems there would be more sign at this point but again scheduled scan to see.

One of my girls had a litter of 4 last Summer and if not for the fact that her mammaries were swollen the last 2 weeks, I would have sworn she didn't take. Very little abdominal swelling at all. An x-ray at 55 days showed 3 puppies and maybe a 4th. Your x-ray should tell the tale, unless she is having a singleton. Sometimes they don't show up.
    Katherine Taylor-Green AKA Honey and Grandma!

Had one miss with AI Frozen, then had her take the next time, the differences were pretty evident. I'd say you should see something by now and she probably missed. She could be going through a false pregnancy, mine did that when she missed, she seemed pregnant for a time then nothing as it progressed. Still a miss might be preferable to a singleton, they usually require a c-section.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I remember one of our female Goldens didn't really show until about 2 weeks before the pups were here. The vet even said she was not pregnant at about the 6 week point. Had we not been watching her abdomen rolling around with the pups moving inside as she was lying next the fireplace one night, we would not have known until the day they showed up. She had 8 pups in that litter.

Good Luck,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark L; 02-15-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Mark and Peyton's Touchdown Pass JH

I also had a singleton puppy and you really can't tell. Even two pups don't show as they can be tucked under the rib cage. You do need the x-ray to be sure.

Thanks for the responses. It is day 50 and maybe I'm trying to convince myself but she looks a little more like something is happening. Stomach area seems fuller and nipples may be a little puffer as well as the outward "female plumbing". She is a fit 55-60 pound field bred female and if it is so she is hiding it to the last days. I will post what we find out at the scan next week. Again thanks for the replies thus far to the inquiry.