The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: training video clip

Default training video clip

Hi folks Im new to the forum. I have a 10 month old black lab female named "Otter" form Duckhill Kennels. She is an absolute pleasure to train and hunt with. I had a yellow lab female "Bella" before her but she passed last year from cancer at the age of 10. She was a great dog and member of the family but I never put the time into training her that I should have. I am a novice trainer at best and Im sure I made plenty of mistakes in this video. That being said Im constantly trying to learn. Iv been using the dvd's "Water Dog, and Duck Dog Basics 1 and 2" along with books "Retriever Training a back to basics approach" and "the 10 Minute Retriever", been finding some great stuff on here as well!! I plan on running some hunt tests with her this summer, I think it will be a great way to meet new retriever enthusiast and keep the training goin over the summer!! anyhow here is a link to the video, thanks for watching!

http://youtu.be/3XA5wqneRz0

Nice video and Dog. I especially like the use of the trapping basket to carry your dokkens. Good on you to put a video up for all to see as some get chastised for it. Just some things I noticed are the timing on the whistle sits. You are just a little late on them. On your sends you are using a lot of body movement. when it comes to conditioning a dog to a command action sequence the dog will rely more on body language than voice commands. If you were to not move at all and release her I would bet she wouldn't go, but if you just did what you are currently doing she would go with no voice command. That is just personal preference so take what you will from it. Other than that good on you for getting out there and working with your dog. Keep up the good work!
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

Good on you to put a video up for all to see as some get chastised for it.
    He will get plenty of critique,,,,, you opened the door

Gooseman it's all good .. It just seems that lately there has been a purely positive vs traditional (for lack of a better term) theme on RTF as of late.....nice vid.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    He will get plenty of critique,,,,, you opened the door

Gooseman it's all good .. It just seems that lately there has been a purely positive vs traditional (for lack of a better term) theme on RTF as of late.....nice vid.
    Agreed Critique is fine, without it none of us will ever advance our skills, but I do feel there is a good and bad way to do it. Gooseman I mean no disrespect by my comments just some things I saw that I wish someone would have pointed out to me when I first started. I apologize in advance if I overstepped in any fashion. Again Keep up the good work!
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

Well, first of all the camera work was excellent. And secondly, for your pup's first cold blinds.....those were very nice! There's a lot of "go" in your pup with excellent momentum. The pup carried a line a good distance. You've done a nice job of creating a positive....I mean....an upbeat attitude.

Here's a few questions. Are you saying "hunt it up" for the release? I noticed you were moving your hand forward on the release, too. Any reason for doing that? Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?

Again, that was a really nice video that showed a lot of teamwork and enthusiasm.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Nice job for 1st cold blinds. Dog looks good.
    even if you're just a hunter wearing white will help your training a lot.
    also, experiment with a quicker / shorter whistle blast vs a loong drawn out one.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I noticed the body movement when you send the dog. I do it as well and am working on correcting it. Thanks for sharing your video. Good job.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

You have lots to be proud of. You and Otter are doing good. Same comments as above. The hand should be closer to the dogs head. I would stop the body movement during side sends: movement of hand and knee flex.

Just my opinions and trying to be helpful not critical. Again, good work.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

As a total rookie I enjoy watching the videos with the little bumps in the road and seeing how they are handled. Seeing sheer perfection is fun but much is learned seeing you guys deal with the little things. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope to see more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Couch View Post
    Agreed Critique is fine, without it none of us will ever advance our skills, but I do feel there is a good and bad way to do it. Gooseman I mean no disrespect by my comments just some things I saw that I wish someone would have pointed out to me when I first started. I apologize in advance if I overstepped in any fashion. Again Keep up the good work!
    No problem im all ears here folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Nice job for 1st cold blinds. Dog looks good.
    even if you're just a hunter wearing white will help your training a lot.
    also, experiment with a quicker / shorter whistle blast vs a loong drawn out one.
    ill try that thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Couch View Post
    Nice video and Dog. I especially like the use of the trapping basket to carry your dokkens. Good on you to put a video up for all to see as some get chastised for it. Just some things I noticed are the timing on the whistle sits. You are just a little late on them. On your sends you are using a lot of body movement. when it comes to conditioning a dog to a command action sequence the dog will rely more on body language than voice commands. If you were to not move at all and release her I would bet she wouldn't go, but if you just did what you are currently doing she would go with no voice command. That is just personal preference so take what you will from it. Other than that good on you for getting out there and working with your dog. Keep up the good work!
    And that is a "trappers basket" started that addiction 3 years ago!!! you mean im to late to whistle or she sits to late?? she defiantly needs to get better at sitting as soon as I whistle. she does pretty good on the land t. seems like its a distance issue when she gets way out she runs the extra after the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    Well, first of all the camera work was excellent. And secondly, for your pup's first cold blinds.....those were very nice! There's a lot of "go" in your pup with excellent momentum. The pup carried a line a good distance. You've done a nice job of creating a positive....I mean....an upbeat attitude.

Here's a few questions. Are you saying "hunt it up" for the release? I noticed you were moving your hand forward on the release, too. Any reason for doing that? Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?

Again, that was a really nice video that showed a lot of teamwork and enthusiasm.
    Thanks very much! the hand thing is something I started doing no real reason for it other than to send her, with what em reading on here I think ill stop, she will go without it . and yes I say "hunt em up"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    You have lots to be proud of. You and Otter are doing good. Same comments as above. The hand should be closer to the dogs head. I would stop the body movement during side sends: movement of hand and knee flex.

Just my opinions and trying to be helpful not critical. Again, good work.
    Thanks very much! will do on the movements

folks don't worry about ruffling my feathers. I can take the "critique" for sure and figured I would get plenty of it!! we the"East Coast Waterfowl Mafia" posted our hunting video clips throughout the fall this year on different forums and got mostly positive feedback,theres always a few that judge a book by its cover!! that being said all the comments here are very helpful and greatly appreciated the only way "we" will get better is to hear many opinions on how to improve and use the ones that fit to our plan the best! we have some things we need to work out for sure but really thats what makes it fun to me, if she was perfect all the time what would we have to work on??