The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: training video clip

  1. #11
    Senior Member Scum Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Great work!!!!!

    I hope my pup and I are where you are in 5-6 months from now
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

  2. #12
    Senior Member Jon Couch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NBgooseman View Post
    And that is a "trappers basket" started that addiction 3 years ago!!! you mean im to late to whistle or she sits to late?? she defiantly needs to get better at sitting as soon as I whistle. she does pretty good on the land t. seems like its a distance issue when she gets way out she runs the extra after the whistle.
    Both but what I was referring to was your blowing the whistle. They kind of go hand in hand. I was notorious for this when I first started working with retrievers. After training with some pros and just handling many dogs in general it became easier. I concentrate on the dog while they are running and will sit them as soon as I notice they have started to drift (this may only be a foot offline and depends on the factors involved) My goal is to only have to use left and Right straight up back casts. If you are giving angle backs in training (unless you are specifically training on them) you are late in handling. Now keep in mind this is training. The stricter the rules are in training the better performance you will get at a test of FT. Again keep up the good work you have done an amazing job thus far!
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

    http://duckcreekkennels.com

    "It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    835

    Default

    First I might say it is a very nice video . Your dog from a hunting standpoint at her age and your hunting style handling is nothing short of excellent. She makes game with her tail as though at age her age has been hunted and has dug birds out of cover, dead waterfowl or upland. It is her style. That may have caused the loopy sits. She doesn't sit square to the whistle. It can be corrected at her age. The reason you want a square sit, she is already overcasting, you will get a better cast if you hunt test her. For hunting who cares, as you will be handling in water and heavier cover. What you send on, well, have had very successful training partners with field champions send thier dogs on get em. One because he couldn't remember his dogs names, don't laugh if you train enough dogs i have sent dogs on the wrong name. The other guy who owned and trained a amateur field champion, sent his dog on get em, and handled on gee/haw, horse talk.
    So if you handle the ribbing then no big deal I guess. Judged fellow who sent his dogs on German commands, don't know if he was swearing, intimidating or what? His dogs looked good.

    Having said the above it is up to you what direction you take. Hunting, hunt tests or both. You will get plenty of feedback here and keep your big boy pants on, you will learn. One other thing, drives me nuts when one pushes with the hand on the send, just put the hand over dogs head and don't move it. Helps with focus . Welcome and fire away with questions.
    .
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 02-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Earl Dillow

  4. #14
    Junior Member NBgooseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?
    that defiantly needs work. what would you suggest??

  5. #15
    Junior Member NBgooseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    First I might say it is a very nice video . Your dog from a hunting standpoint at her age and your hunting style handling is nothing short of excellent. She makes game with her tail as though at age her age has been hunted and has dug birds out of cover, dead waterfowl or upland. It is her style.
    She hunted with us all fall mostly waterfowl and some upland, She was six months on her first hunt. We had an excellent season so she was able to make several retrieves!! lots of videos of her throughout the season on our you tube page. thanks for the info and the comments!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheECWM1/videos?view=0

  6. #16
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    A agree with this for more advanced dogs , but caution against nit picking a young dog. Let a young dog roll for awhile even if it is a bit off line
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Couch View Post
    Both but what I was referring to was your blowing the whistle. They kind of go hand in hand. I was notorious for this when I first started working with retrievers. After training with some pros and just handling many dogs in general it became easier. I concentrate on the dog while they are running and will sit them as soon as I notice they have started to drift (this may only be a foot offline and depends on the factors involved) My goal is to only have to use left and Right straight up back casts. If you are giving angle backs in training (unless you are specifically training on them) you are late in handling. Now keep in mind this is training. The stricter the rules are in training the better performance you will get at a test of FT. Again keep up the good work you have done an amazing job thus far!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    A agree with this for more advanced dogs , but caution against nit picking a young dog. Let a young dog roll for awhile even if it is a bit off line
    Is this so you aren't diminishing a young dogs momentum or because you don't want to confuse a young dog by giving angled back casts that they may not fully understand yet? I'm unsure is why I ask.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    So as to NOT diminish momentum....too many whistles starts to erode confidence

    By the way to the OP , REALLY nice job for a young dog! Watch your alignment when setting her up. On the first cold blind it APPEARED that she was facing to the right of where the blind was, BUT she did go in the right direction, so I may be wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrema-2 View Post
    Is this so you aren't diminishing a young dogs momentum or because you don't want to confuse a young dog by giving angled back casts that they may not fully understand yet? I'm unsure is why I ask.
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 02-12-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NBgooseman View Post
    She hunted with us all fall mostly waterfowl and some upland, She was six months on her first hunt. We had an excellent season so she was able to make several retrieves!! lots of videos of her throughout the season on our you tube page. thanks for the info and the comments!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheECWM1/videos?view=0
    From what I observed from your video, both, Otter and your parent's yellow are being trained conventionally without a e collar? Correct? It also appears you don't have any problem applying pressure by the obedience video. Can offer suggestions if the above is accurate.
    Earl Dillow

  10. #20
    Senior Member KwickLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Originally Posted by KwickLabs:
    Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?
    NBgooseman's response:
    That definately needs work. What would you suggest??
    It would be difficult to say without knowing what your early "prep" was for basic casting. Did you do three-handed casting with a long lead? Demanding a quick, remote sit and correcting/enforcing in basic OB is necessary. Do you have any way to enforce expectations at a distance?

    I went back to check the video and you aren't using an e-collar. So what was your process in producing a "quick" sit close in and proofing it at distances? Long check cord?

    Distance tends to rerode control which means the quick sit expectation needs to be dealt with incrementally. You have made distance a non-issue in "going" (this is a good thing), but maybe the distance is having a negative impact on control (i.e. loopy sit).

    A "long" whistle often conveys a begging attitude. Short, crisp whistles tend to present more of an urgency (in theory).

    I'm sure you will develop a plan.

    edit: Ever do any remote sit to flush work with bumpers?
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 02-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •