RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

training video clip

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  NBgooseman 
#1 ·
Hi folks Im new to the forum. I have a 10 month old black lab female named "Otter" form Duckhill Kennels. She is an absolute pleasure to train and hunt with. I had a yellow lab female "Bella" before her but she passed last year from cancer at the age of 10. She was a great dog and member of the family but I never put the time into training her that I should have. I am a novice trainer at best and Im sure I made plenty of mistakes in this video. That being said Im constantly trying to learn. Iv been using the dvd's "Water Dog, and Duck Dog Basics 1 and 2" along with books "Retriever Training a back to basics approach" and "the 10 Minute Retriever", been finding some great stuff on here as well!! I plan on running some hunt tests with her this summer, I think it will be a great way to meet new retriever enthusiast and keep the training goin over the summer!! anyhow here is a link to the video, thanks for watching!

http://youtu.be/3XA5wqneRz0

#2 ·
Nice video and Dog. I especially like the use of the trapping basket to carry your dokkens. Good on you to put a video up for all to see as some get chastised for it. Just some things I noticed are the timing on the whistle sits. You are just a little late on them. On your sends you are using a lot of body movement. when it comes to conditioning a dog to a command action sequence the dog will rely more on body language than voice commands. If you were to not move at all and release her I would bet she wouldn't go, but if you just did what you are currently doing she would go with no voice command. That is just personal preference so take what you will from it. Other than that good on you for getting out there and working with your dog. Keep up the good work!

#3 ·
Good on you to put a video up for all to see as some get chastised for it.
He will get plenty of critique,,,,, you opened the door :)

Gooseman it's all good .. It just seems that lately there has been a purely positive vs traditional (for lack of a better term) theme on RTF as of late.....nice vid.

#4 ·
Agreed :eek: Critique is fine, without it none of us will ever advance our skills, but I do feel there is a good and bad way to do it. Gooseman I mean no disrespect by my comments just some things I saw that I wish someone would have pointed out to me when I first started. I apologize in advance if I overstepped in any fashion. Again Keep up the good work!

#5 ·
Well, first of all the camera work was excellent. And secondly, for your pup's first cold blinds.....those were very nice! There's a lot of "go" in your pup with excellent momentum. The pup carried a line a good distance. You've done a nice job of creating a positive....I mean....an upbeat attitude.

Here's a few questions. Are you saying "hunt it up" for the release? I noticed you were moving your hand forward on the release, too. Any reason for doing that? Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?

Again, that was a really nice video that showed a lot of teamwork and enthusiasm.

#6 ·
Nice job for 1st cold blinds. Dog looks good.
even if you're just a hunter wearing white will help your training a lot.
also, experiment with a quicker / shorter whistle blast vs a loong drawn out one.

#8 ·
You have lots to be proud of. You and Otter are doing good. Same comments as above. The hand should be closer to the dogs head. I would stop the body movement during side sends: movement of hand and knee flex.

Just my opinions and trying to be helpful not critical. Again, good work.

#9 ·
As a total rookie I enjoy watching the videos with the little bumps in the road and seeing how they are handled. Seeing sheer perfection is fun but much is learned seeing you guys deal with the little things. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope to see more of these.

#13 · (Edited)
First I might say it is a very nice video . Your dog from a hunting standpoint at her age and your hunting style handling is nothing short of excellent. She makes game with her tail as though at age her age has been hunted and has dug birds out of cover, dead waterfowl or upland. It is her style. That may have caused the loopy sits. She doesn't sit square to the whistle. It can be corrected at her age. The reason you want a square sit, she is already overcasting, you will get a better cast if you hunt test her. For hunting who cares, as you will be handling in water and heavier cover. What you send on, well, have had very successful training partners with field champions send thier dogs on get em. One because he couldn't remember his dogs names, don't laugh if you train enough dogs i have sent dogs on the wrong name. The other guy who owned and trained a amateur field champion, sent his dog on get em, and handled on gee/haw, horse talk.
So if you handle the ribbing then no big deal I guess. Judged fellow who sent his dogs on German commands, don't know if he was swearing, intimidating or what? His dogs looked good.

Having said the above it is up to you what direction you take. Hunting, hunt tests or both. You will get plenty of feedback here and keep your big boy pants on, you will learn. One other thing, drives me nuts when one pushes with the hand on the send, just put the hand over dogs head and don't move it. Helps with focus . Welcome and fire away with questions.

#15 ·
First I might say it is a very nice video . Your dog from a hunting standpoint at her age and your hunting style handling is nothing short of excellent. She makes game with her tail as though at age her age has been hunted and has dug birds out of cover, dead waterfowl or upland. It is her style.
She hunted with us all fall mostly waterfowl and some upland, She was six months on her first hunt. We had an excellent season so she was able to make several retrieves!! lots of videos of her throughout the season on our you tube page. thanks for the info and the comments!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheECWM1/videos?view=0

#20 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by KwickLabs:
Do you have any training plans to work on a "loopy" sit (like in the first cold blind)?
NBgooseman's response:
That definately needs work. What would you suggest??
It would be difficult to say without knowing what your early "prep" was for basic casting. Did you do three-handed casting with a long lead? Demanding a quick, remote sit and correcting/enforcing in basic OB is necessary. Do you have any way to enforce expectations at a distance?

I went back to check the video and you aren't using an e-collar. So what was your process in producing a "quick" sit close in and proofing it at distances? Long check cord?

Distance tends to rerode control which means the quick sit expectation needs to be dealt with incrementally. You have made distance a non-issue in "going" (this is a good thing), but maybe the distance is having a negative impact on control (i.e. loopy sit).

A "long" whistle often conveys a begging attitude. Short, crisp whistles tend to present more of an urgency (in theory).

I'm sure you will develop a plan.

edit: Ever do any remote sit to flush work with bumpers?

#22 ·
I have a 300 foot check cord I used today that worked well she dident seem to mind it at all. Have shortened the whistle blast up, and no longer move my hand or knee when I send her. just did the land t this morning as I couldn't get to any of my pattern blind spots. I think the check cord will help for sure again it went well this morning. hope to get another video right off and post it up. thanks again everyone for all your on going help!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.