The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Artificial scent

Default Artificial scent

Does anyone use or recommend the bottles of bird scent for training? If so what brands would you use and which ones to avoid?

Waste of money IMHO

Save your money! Feathers are what you need. They will work at scenting bumpers, a fall area or simulating drag back. If you are not using ducks for marks occasionally then I would get some. When they are no longer usable, pluck the ducks & save the feathers in plastic bags. Use them as you would the bottled scent.
    Mark Land

Not needed, but don't hurt I guess. I have not used them in 20 years or more however I learned one very important lesson. Never let a full bottle spill in the family SUV. The smell never comes out and the wife will be most unhappy and make you buy her a new car.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Thanks for the advise.

I am not a fan of plastic bumpers so I make a small elastic band for my bumpers and put bird scent on them. The dogs love it. It would be nice to train with birds every single day, but sometimes it isn't practical. The bird scent does work. I have also used it when training for NAHRA where they have tracking, etc. along with some bird feathers.

I don't think even the wings are necessary. You train with bumpers and you train with birds. Dogs love to retrieve both and have no problem picking up the scent of both.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Dr. Ed can jump in here but dogs can pick up literally hundreds of types of scent. I forget the exact number. They have no problem smelling bumpers.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I tried it years ago. Like others said the dogs can smell the bumpers. I have put a duck in with the bumpers before but not sure if the scent sticks to the bumper or not.